Did I create bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gal batch of American Blonde a little over a week ago, let it ferment out completely, and then yesterday split it into several smaller batches for secondary fruit additions, then bottled the remainder of the batch as a 'straight' blonde last night. I calculated my priming sugar for 2.5 vols CO2, mixed it up, and added it to the bottling bucket while racking onto the fruit in the other 1-gal secondary fermentors. I had a bit of a mishap during the transfer and ended up with only 2 gallons of 'straight' blonde that I bottled last night, instead of the 3 gallons I assumed when I calculated my priming sugar. Based on my Beersmith calculator, I ended up with closer to 3.5 vols instead of 2.5. Is this too much pressure for re-used bottles? I use an assortment of bottles that I've saved from beers that I've bought and drank (no screw-top obviously).

Thanks!

Well, in theory you will probably be okay. I would give them a week at room temp, chill one for an entire 24-48 hours, and then test carbonation. If it is perfect then perhaps keep the rest of the bottles cold. It will cause the yeast to go nearly dormant. If the carbonation isn't good then wait another week. Best to keep all of those bottles someplace out of the path of people and put a heavy towel or blanket over the bottles, just in case. I think you'll be okay, but just in case, take precaution.

Thanks. The last bottle I filled is only about 1/2 full. Would that one be OK to check, or better to check a full one?

If I understand your post, you primed the full amount - the loss was during transfer later. So it seems like the priming is OK. Or maybe I misread it.

Thanks. The last bottle I filled is only about 1/2 full. Would that one be OK to check, or better to check a full one?

Use a full one. Too much headspace in a half bottle. I pretty much made the same mis calculation thing once. Turned out ok, but use flip tops and when I realised what I had done I put most of them in empty coolers separating the bottles with wads of newspaper. Take precaution when opening them brother, they can pop pretty hard! If they don't blow before then, or switch to force carbing in a keg. 🍻

According to Papazian (New Complete Joy of Home Brewing, p 139) a half filled bottle could become a bottle bomb. I don't really understand why it would, but I don't do it just in case. I drink any left-over partial bottle when I'm finished bottling.

If I understand your post, you primed the full amount - the loss was during transfer later. So it seems like the priming is OK. Or maybe I misread it.

You misread it. I put the priming sugar solution into the bottling bucket, and racked the beer onto it, but due to a prior mistake, I ended up racking 2 gallon onto the sugar instead of the 3 gallons I expected.

Use a full one. Too much headspace in a half bottle. I pretty much made the same mis calculation thing once. Turned out ok, but use flip tops and when I realised what I had done I put most of them in empty coolers separating the bottles with wads of newspaper. Take precaution when opening them brother, they can pop pretty hard! If they don't blow before then, or switch to force carbing in a keg. 🍻

I bought my first keg (used) this weekend. I'll be getting a CO2 bottle and regulator next weekend. Then I just new tubing and seals and a fresh batch of beer to keg...

you should be ok, but i would put those bottles in a box or something just encase. if you are looking for a co2 canister check out ezRyders post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=495278. good prices.

Thanks, but I think I'm actually getting a complete setup for free. I'll have to get the tank re-certified, nut that will still be cheaper than buying one. And it is coming with the regulator and everything too...

I bought my first keg (used) this weekend. I'll be getting a CO2 bottle and regulator next weekend. Then I just new tubing and seals and a fresh batch of beer to keg...

Good on ya! You'll never look back . If you need any setup help you know where to go! Cheers and good luck with those bottles! 🍻

Latest posts

Back