Did a batch get infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindnil

Reaction score
I had a serious blow off occur. Air lock was blown through, but not blown off. This occurred when I was out of town and my brew partner got too busy to monitor it. I noticed it when I got back, figured there was a blanket of CO2 in the carboy to keep any bugs out, so I replaced the airlock and let it finish. I cover my carboys with a black trash bag that I tape to the kneck of the fermenter. I Kegged it today- simply removed the airlock and put in the auto-siphon but did not remove the trash bag cover. When i started my clean up, I removed the trash bag and the most foul cheesey scent wafted up. I double checked what I had just kegged and it did not have the same smell. Was the scent produced by the rotten residue of the blow off that covered the trash bag or is this batch not worth the time to gas it up? Thoughts? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lack of photos and my rambling post.

DOH! Forgot to note that I took a gravity reading and the taste test was fine and it finished at 1.010 from 1.052.

If the taste test is fine I am sure the beer is fine and the smell is just what blew out and went nasty on and under the garbage bag.

I'm inclined to agree. I think I just needed some moral support. I kegged 15 gallons today and would hate to lose 5 of them to negligence.

Sounds like the culprit. I guess you'll find out in a couple days.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Latest posts

Back