Diacetyl - suspected from bacteria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
I just had the great suprise of finding that my second beer in 2 months had a diacetyl problem. I have brewed about 125-150 batches over the last three years and had never had an issue until recently. My question for the forum is if it is possible to have that buttery diacetyl flavor from a bacterial infection without any sourness or ropiness indicative of most bacteria.

I normally would think it was a yeast issue and did the first time but in this batch, I fermented at 64 for days then raised it to 68 for a diacetyl rest. The batch was not separated from the yeast until 17 days after pitching so I really find it hard to believe the yeast still needed to clean it up since it fermented in 5-6 days. I also tasted no butter hints at that point.

The weird thing is that around this time, I brewed an award winning brown ale with no diacetyl and a pale ale that came out clean so I am thinking it must be something in a better bottle, keg or my beer gun but all I get is butter flavor with no other sour notes and I have read that diacetyl from bacteria usually comes with some sourness or acidity. I plan to let a bottle sit warm for a few days to bring out other possible nasties.

Sorry for the long note but any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, sounds like it. I'll be tossing all the plastic involved and boiling anything stainless.

I recently switched to doing all co2 push transfers so I suspect that I might need an improved line cleaning/sanitizing procedure as well.

Thanks all, let me know of any other suggestions if you've got em.

Back