diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I have two lagers in primary - a pils and a vienna lager. They went into primary 1 March, and both were around 1.06 OG. They took off after around 30 hours, nice krausen on both batches, fermenting at 49 degrees. There is still consistent air lock activity - much slower then at first, but still bubbling.

I really don't have a easy way to take the gravity to see how done they are in order to start a diacetyl rest.

I have read a bunch of threads and just wanted a sanity check that at two weeks, I will be pretty safe to let the temp rise for the dicetyl rest…???

Thanks in advance - these are my first lagers and just want to make sure I am not rushing this step.

That's perfect. Do the diacetyl rest when fermentation starts to slow. Raise by 1-2 degrees per day for 4-5 days. The time for the majority of off-flavors from high fermentation temperatures is in the first 3-5 days.

OK - so then I am probably safe to start raising it? I was just concerned it was not long enough but it definitely has slowed.

The only way that your 2 weeks of fermenting isn't long enough would be if you pitched so little yeast that fermentation would run 3-4 weeks. If you pitched a good amount of yeast, it should be 97%+ done after 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back