Diacetyl rest, too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I brewed an extra pale ale that came out a lot bigger than intended, about 8%. I have it kegged and am detecting some definite off flavor, I think a butterscotch diacetyl flavor. It's been kegged and in the Keezer for about a month, is it too late to take it out and let it sit for a few days in the low 70s? Will that maybe take care of the flavor? I realize I fermented in low 60s and racked to keg and chilled. It may have never gotten above 64.

Kayos said:
Never too late for that rest. Let it get to about 72 for a couple of days.

Cool I will try it. I bottled the other half of the 10 gallon batch and they carbed at room temp. And don't have that flavor so...

Ok just stuck the keg in a water bath with aquarium heater set to 72, water is at 74 so we'll see I'll leave it there until maybe Saturday, then return to the keezer, wait a couple more days and try it again.

I'm not very good at describing off flavors but i can certainly taste this one. Not pleasing. Maybe butterscotch which I read is Diacetyl but without reading that I'm sure I would have never said "i taste butterscotch".

Try that. If it doesn't work, try carbing. If it's DMS (vegige smell sort of) the carbonation can scrub some of that with the bubbling action.

you need yeast to remove diacetyl, simply raising the temp alone won't do it. does the beer also have a slick mouthfeel? that's usually an easy tell-tale of diacetyl if you're unsure of the flavor

I would think there's plenty of yeast in there for the diacetyl unless you filtered or chemically killed the yeast.

right, but generally you'd want active yeast. whatever yeast is still in suspension after a month in a keezer is likely to be pretty slow at any more clean-up.

right, but generally you'd want active yeast. whatever yeast is still in suspension after a month in a keezer is likely to be pretty slow at any more clean-up.

Agreed. I've had diacetyl issues with a few beers in the past and the only remedy that worked for me is active yeast. Just warming the beer doesn't get the yeast active enough to keep metabolizing, IME. But my sample size is pretty small for diacetyl (thank goodness)

I'll give it a shake or two to swirl the yeast. It finished low though so don't think it's just unfinished but it does taste too sweet. Maybe yes on the slick mouthfeel but hard to tell. Could just be residual sugar would it hurt to dump a pack of s05 in?

I'll give it a shake or two to swirl the yeast. It finished low though so don't think it's just unfinished but it does taste too sweet. Maybe yes on the slick mouthfeel but hard to tell. Could just be residual sugar would it hurt to dump a pack of s05 in?

Wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't do much. It needs to be actively fermenting. Make a 1L starter or so with OG similar to your beer, add yeast and an airlock, then pitch the whole thing at high krausen, ~8-12 hours later.

Wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't do much. It needs to be actively fermenting. Make a 1L starter or so with OG similar to your beer, add yeast and an airlock, then pitch the whole thing at high krausen, ~8-12 hours later.

Are you saying make a 1L starter with S-05 (dry) yeast? How much of the S-05 pack should I use? couldn't I just sprinkle in some S-05? Maybe you're saying it wouldn't start right because of the existing high (8%) alcohol level?

Are you saying make a 1L starter with S-05 (dry) yeast? How much of the S-05 pack should I use? couldn't I just sprinkle in some S-05? Maybe you're saying it wouldn't start right because of the existing high (8%) alcohol level?

if the beer is indeed finished, sprinkling in dormant yeast isn't going to do much (no O2, nutrients, food). Also being at 8% would dramatically reduce the vitality. pitching in actively fermenting wort ensures some activity and stands a better chance at reducing the diacetyl. it's essentially 'krausening' which is generally an old technique for carbonating, but is also useful for reducing diacetyl

if the beer is indeed finished, sprinkling in dormant yeast isn't going to do much (no O2, nutrients, food). Also being at 8% would dramatically reduce the vitality. pitching in actively fermenting wort ensures some activity and stands a better chance at reducing the diacetyl. it's essentially 'krausening' which is generally an old technique for carbonating, but is also useful for reducing diacetyl

^^Exactly

Cool I will try just this. A whole pack of S-05 in a 1L starter? No shaking to aerate I assume since the beer is "done" and that would risk oxidation?

Cool I will try just this. A whole pack of S-05 in a 1L starter? No shaking to aerate I assume since the beer is "done" and that would risk oxidation?

Right...you're not trying to grow yeast, just get them active.

Back