Diacetyl Rest?... But Krausen has dropped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonlovesbeer

BrandonLovesBeer
Reaction score
Uh oh.
I wanted to do a Diacetyl Rest, but Krausen dropped out last night some time.
I JUST cranked the control temp up (from 52˚F-ish) to 65˚F.

Questions:
1) Am I too late?
2) Is that the correct temperature?

Thanks

You’re probably fine. It’s probably mostly done, but I had the same thing happen on my last finished beer and can’t taste any diacetyl in the finished beer. Who knows, there may have not been much to begin with. And 65 is a good temp.

I always do a diacetyl rest for strains that are known to produce diacetyl. I rest at 70°F for 3-4 days after the fermentation is mostly wrapped up and the krausen has fallen. I've never had diacetyl issues using this method.

Don't sweat it. Krausen may have dropped but there are plenty of active yeast. And the temp increase will keep them active.
And to answer your 2nd Q: 52 to 65 is just fine. Hold there for a couple days then lager.

It will be fine. If you detect any diacetyl, just keep the beer warm -- do not chill -- for about 3 weeks. Diacetyl should disappear in time. But if there is no diacetyl, then who cares. No worries either way.

Thanks for the answers fellow homebrewers.
That make feel much better.

Side Note:
I never thought it would this difficult to bring the temp UP.
I had to turn my temp controller off and prop the fridge door open.
The carboy temperature has just now gotten up to 62˚F.

Back