Diacetyl cured by freezing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copbrew133

Reaction score
BEAR WITH ME, I HAVE BEEN BABYSITTING WHITE TRASH ALL DAY AT WORK. I have a question to pose as I have gotten a ton of information from you guys (and girls) about brewing which has helped me tremendously. This is the deal: I brewed a clone recipe of one of my favorite beers, Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA a while back. The flavors were good, pretty much in line with the real thing except for that unwanted slight buttery aftertaste. I believe it to be diacetyl. I have never had it in all the brews before and I control my ferm. temps. religiously. This one used a strain I had not used before the Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. When I opened the 16 oz bottles (the night before this)I get a strong "diacetyl type" buttery aftertaste. It's not undrinkable but it ain't winning any comps if ya know what I mean. Last night, however, I put a 1 liter bottle in the freezer for a quick cool to decompress from a rough day and forgot it (moonshine). It naturally froze. Later I got up and found it and went "Oh crap" I wasted beer. After saying fifty hale Marys I put it in the fridge. Today I get home open her up and taste it. ZERO buttery taste. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

Are there any other compounds that can taste in this manner beside diacetyl? Why in the heck is this flavor gone from this bottle?
Thanks in advance

What was your fermentation temp? I've used that strain before and haven't had any diacetyl. From my knowledge (I could be wrong), I thought only lagers suffer from potential diacetyl. And, from what I've heard, once you get it, you never get rid of it.

Ferm temps were 66 to 67 degrees constant throughout primary and secondary. I think all yeast produce it, lager yeast have a harder time cleaning up after themselves, lower temps, without a rest generally from what I read. I also didn't think it would go away. After drinking this for a few days I have a theory unrelated to freezing. I opened another 1 liter of this and it didn't have the flavor. I now think these larger bottles contain more yeast allowing it to clean up more. Just a theory.

Back