Dextrose sludge in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi all, i have bottled my first brew 1.5 week ago. Before bottling, i added dextrose to the bottom of each bottle, and now i can see a sludge at the bottom. Is this because i need to wait more, or because i added to much dextrose (5g on 0.5 L) with a low gravity (OG1.043 to FG1.004). Or i do i wrong, and dextrose shoulden't be added to the bottom of a bottle? :)

thats normal. You will waste about 1/4 inch of beer from your bottles, at least I do. Part of it is the yeast that has fallen. If you end up drinking it, it will not kill you, but I’m sure it will change the flavor a tad, but not sure.

That is just yeast sludge and sediment that came back into suspension when you transferred/bottled. If it is a wheat beer you might even want to get it back into suspension when you pour it into a glass.

That is just yeast sludge and sediment that came back into suspension when you transferred/bottled. If it is a wheat beer you might even want to get it back into suspension when you pour it into a glass.
I’m guessing you are talking about swirling the beer around, if so, why would you do that for a wheat beer?

I wouldn't personally do it, but if you like that yeasty flavor that is often associated with wheat beers (I think most yeasts traditionally associated with wheat beers are less flocculant, so more yeast stays in suspension for a longer period of time) then maybe you'd pour most of the beer, swirl up the last bit in the bottle, and pour that in too. I've seen someone do that.

Back