Developing a bitterness.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ControlTech

Reaction score
I brewed a blonde ale that came out very nice. It is a very drinkable session beer with flavor and a bit of body, with a mellow malty sweetness.

It's been in the keg for about three weeks and I am probably about two/thirds of the way through it. But now it is developing slighty sharp bitternes in the finish. I may have to hurry up and drink it before it gets worse. (Damn the luck! :D)

I would like to make this beer again, without the bitterness. Any thoughts on the cause of the flavor is would be appreciated. I haven't experienced this bitterness before.

Thanks for the help.

If I had to guess, I would say that the carbonation level is increasing. The added carbonation is likely imparting a "sting" and a dryness that is being perceived as bitter.

This could be extract twang. This is rumored to be a side effect from using LME.

This could be tannins from an out of control mash or boiled grains/steeping grains.

This could also be flavor addition hops fading and becoming bitter.

There is no way to tell without a recipe/more info from you...

Thanks for the input.

I doubt it is tannins. I did steep the specialty grains, but the steeping went well, temp was never over 155. But then again I should check the accurracy of my thermomter, a few degrees could make a difference.

It may be the over carbing, I am getting more foam than beer when I poor a glass. I am going to shut the CO2 down for a day or two and see if it helps.

Thanks again for your thoughts. :mug:

Back