Determining final beer amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Hey, just curious how everyone else determines their final beer amount for calculating priming sugar?

With my better bottles I generally guesstimate after "removing" how many inches of true are at the bottom, but I am curious what other people do that could improve my consistency and calculations for priming

Have you calibrated the volume markings of your fermenter?

You could do some at the bottom to estimate trub loss.

That's the only way to be accurate.

I used a measuring cup to mark a 2 qt pitcher. I then used it to make marks on my better bottles. I bag my hops so the amount of trub is small. I read the level of the wort, subtract a bit for the trub, then use Northern Brewers' to calculate my priming sugar. It is not 100% accurate but really close enough.

I had a few of my fermenter marked at the 5,5.5, and 6gal marks but haven't actually thought of doing it going further down.

May be a good idea finally get off my ass so as to get a more accurate number for future brews!

Latest posts

Back