Design question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerDoc

Reaction score
Surely (shirley) this has been addressed here but I haven't seen anything and not sure what term to search for.
I have a full-size fridge in the garage. I'd like to start kegging but my family seems to think they need food and non-alcoholic drinks in the garage fridge. Has anyone come up with a simple way to alter the racks in the fridge so you can fit a couple of kegs in there and not ruin the ability to use the fridge for non beer-related items? It seems there would be a simple way to bend or add a few racks so a corny or 2 could go on the hinge side and not interfere with others using the fridge.

how about high/low instead of L/R. You get the bottom and they get the shelves at the top?

Otherwise you could just make some wooden shelves or even get those wire closet shelves and bolt them together.

B

First, stop calling me Shirley.

Second, sure, be creative. Maybe add a central support and use narrower shelves on the side without kegs. Whatever you feel your construction/destruction skills can handle.

how about high/low instead of L/R. You get the bottom and they get the shelves at the top?

Otherwise you could just make some wooden shelves or even get those wire closet shelves and bolt them together.

B
Didn't think about it that was. Corny kegs are about 27" tall...something like that?

It's an over/under fridge (freezer on top, fridge below). I suppose I should have mentioned that before. :eek:
First, stop calling me Shirley.

Second, sure, be creative. Maybe add a central support and use narrower shelves on the side without kegs. Whatever you feel your construction/destruction skills can handle.
:)

while this isn't ideal, try using something like a jokeybox. have a long coil of tuning in the fridge on a shelf, and pump the beer through that. problems are that you need to keep the keg outside the fridge, and you have to plumb through the door, but definitely the best way to save space.

while this isn't ideal, try using something like a jokeybox. have a long coil of tuning in the fridge on a shelf, and pump the beer through that. problems are that you need to keep the keg outside the fridge, and you have to plumb through the door, but definitely the best way to save space.
I'd run that coil in a bucket/bin of water. It will definitely keep it cooler longer.

B

I'd run that coil in a bucket/bin of water. It will definitely keep it cooler longer.

B
That's really cool ideas. Thanks, guys.

No reason you can't remove the stock shelves and build something from wood with shelves over the kegs, and to one side of the kegs...

On some upper/lower fridges you can run your gas line through the moisture vent at the rear bottom of the lower frig. That way you can store your tank outside and no hole has to be drilled into it. Just a small one in a plastic cap.

Back