Dernord tri-clamp integrated heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
I purchased two of the Dernord 5500w ripple stainless elements with integrated tri clamp flange and L6-30 connector on Amazon. Has anyone had difficulty in mating these with a female L6-30 twist lock receptacle? I have no problem plugging it in, but am having big issues unplugging the cord from the element afterward. I suspect the prongs on the element aren’t exactly the right size/shape that they should be, causing it to get stuck in the receptacle somehow. I’ll have to compare the prongs on the Leviton male L6-30 plug that connects to the control panel itself with the prongs on the element. I hate to have to reshape the prongs on the element, but what’s the point of having the connector if it can’t be easily unplugged to free the cord from the kettle?

You are twisting it before upplugging right? the l6-30 is a twist lock connection it twists about 1/8th " to unlock.... sometimes the prongs need to be slightly bent to be aligned with the plug which if you have no problem plugging it in ,is not the problem.

Yes, I was twisting it before attempting to unplug it. After some struggling, I was finally able to free the female end of the cord from the element. In the course of doing so, I must have bent the offending prong enough to get it aligned with the plug. I can now plug and unplug the element without any issue. Interestingly, the second element, which I bought more recently, worked just fine straight out of the box.

Try bending the plug ends a little in, or out... sometimes i've found they won't quite "hold" if they're loose... bending the ends "in" just a tad will make them stay (mine hang down under the panel). I suspect if yours are too snuck it may be getting stuck/caught when trying to unlatch.

I bought two of these recently and am considering returning at least one of them. On mine (one much more so than the other) the prongs are not molded in straight. I don't mean they're bent toward the center or toward the outside, rather they're crooked tangentially, as if someone were twisting on the thing before everything was firmly in place. It did plug in but not smoothly and didn't give me a warm fuzzy about everything making good complete contact with the female connector.

I haven't looked closely at the shape of the prongs compared to other plugs, I just noticed the crookedness of them.

I bought two of these recently and am considering returning at least one of them. On mine (one much more so than the other) the prongs are not molded in straight. I don't mean they're bent toward the center or toward the outside, rather they're crooked tangentially, as if someone were twisting on the thing before everything was firmly in place. It did plug in but not smoothly and didn't give me a warm fuzzy about everything making good complete contact with the female connector.

I haven't looked closely at the shape of the prongs compared to other plugs, I just noticed the crookedness of them.
if it plugged in completely the connection is good, especially if you female plug is decent quality.

Latest posts

Back