Denny's for bottle aged imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
I was given a 10 gallon bourbon barrel for Valentine's Day (now that's romance!), and I was going to brew up a nice, 1.090 or so imperial stout to age in it for a month or two.

Think Denny's will work well for this application? I have 2 3-liter starters going right now, but wanted to do a sanity check first. Thanks!

(Oops, that was supposed to be "barrel aged" in the title. Although I did figure I'd bottle and age at least some of the beer.)

I believe he's referring to 'Denny's Favorite 50' yeast (Wyeast 1450):

"This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-76%
Temperature Range: 60-70F 15-21C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10%"

Yes, I was referring to the yeast. I've used it in a red and an IPA, but never in a stout or porter yet.

This is my Imp Stout yeast. Any dark brew for me gets this yeast. Can be a little slow in the beginning. Doesn't form a huge krausen. I'm sure Denny will chime in. Truly one of my favorites, no pun intended.

Thanks, sounds good! I was thinking of actually bottling most of the barrel (maybe 7 gallons, and fill one of my 3 gallon corny kegs with the rest). Maybe I'll add some fruit to some of the bottles (really having good luck adding small amounts of fruit wines to stouts lately) and espresso to some.

Back