Delayed harvesting and washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamperplexed

Reaction score
I've successfully washed (I think) my Ringwood ale yeast and am now on to my next experiment. I racked the better portion of my Irish Red into keg last week leaving about an inch of beer in the carboy, completely covering the trub, hoping to harvest that yeast at a later date. I just began the process by pouring off that last little bit of beer and adding clean water. I'm going to let it settle a bit before pouring into smaller jars.

I noticed the beer / slurry has a very strong odor after being left 7 or 8 days in the sealed carboy. Not foul, just strong. I'm assuming that's the yeast cake and trub that I'm smelling. I realize it's probably not an ideal situation but wondering if anyone has had luck washing yeast this long after the initial racking. Other than risk of infection from racking off and possibly way too much air space, I don't see how it's any different than harvesting from a fresh batch. Any info is appreciated.

Back