Degassing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Are there any wine makers here that don't degas their wine? The reason I ask is I would like to eliminate that procedure/step.The only logical way I thought was to leave wine in carboy for a longer time to let the gas naturally disperse. Any input would be appreciated.

Are there any wine makers here that don't degas their wine? The reason I ask is I would like to eliminate that procedure/step.The only logical way I thought was to leave wine in carboy for a longer time to let the gas naturally disperse. Any input would be appreciated.

I rarely degass, only rushed wines. Wine degasses naturally over time.

Thank's for the reply, roughly how long do you leave the wine in carboy?

Really depends on the wine, I've had some degass in as little as 2 months, others stay gassy much longer...and I'm not smart enough to know why.

Really depends on the wine, I've had some degass in as little as 2 months, others stay gassy much longer...and I'm not smart enough to know why.

Do you have notes on your temps? I've heard if you keep the wine up around 75 it should degas much quicker. I plan to try that this summer when my house is warmer.

Correct on the temp. The warmer it is, the faster it will degass. If you keep your wine in the low 50's as most books recommend, it will take years to FULLY degass.

On that note, I don't find that step troublesome. The investment in a quality stainless steel degassing rod gets the job done even for rushed wines in about 2-3 minutes. Heck, I spend more time than that trying to get the cap off the wine kit juice bag.

Do you have notes on your temps? I've heard if you keep the wine up around 75 it should degas much quicker. I plan to try that this summer when my house is warmer.

Almost all my wines are kept at rather "warm" temperatures, 60-70 degrees.

Correct on the temp. The warmer it is, the faster it will degass. If you keep your wine in the low 50's as most books recommend, it will take years to FULLY degass.

On that note, I don't find that step troublesome. The investment in a quality stainless steel degassing rod gets the job done even for rushed wines in about 2-3 minutes. Heck, I spend more time than that trying to get the cap off the wine kit juice bag.

Yeah those caps are something else, I twist a screwdriver in em. Although I did a 4 week kit wine once and I thought I'd never get all the gas out I was beating it like a red headed step child.

The only way to know if its de gassed for sure is to swirl it in a glass and see if it makes a 'pfft' sound when you remove your hand, correct?

The only way to know if its de gassed for sure is to swirl it in a glass and see if it makes a 'pfft' sound when you remove your hand, correct?

That's a pretty solid test, you can also take a swig and swish it around in your mouth and swallow, if it has a bubbly mouth feel then is isn't degassed. You can also pour a glass and see if it fizzes up. If you stir your wine vigorously and it foams up like a bugger it isn't degassed.

Back