Deciding to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDBrewer

Reaction score
Can anyone persuade me to start kegging instead of bottling? Ive been thinking about switching but I'm not sure if its convenient for me. I like to bring my beer to parties to serve to my friends. Would it be possible to transfer from a keg to a bottle if I'm drinking it that night? Also, Im not even sure what items I would need to purchase. I don't know much about the process of kegging or anything. I don't have an extra fridge to store it in. All I have is a small reddiwip cooler that fits one carboy and maybe a keg or two on the compressor hump.

I won't try to convince you. For me I dreaded bottling day and honestly doubt I would have continued in the hobby if I hadn't switched to kegging. So it's a no brainer for me. If you don't mind bottling and you're happy with your results then no need to switch.

Sure it's possible to bottle from a keg. I use a counter pressure bottle filler and it's a frustrating, beer wasting, bottle for bottle more hassle than just bottling pain in the ass, to be perfectly honest. I pretty much only use it to share special beers with special people and to bottle for comps.

Much easier is just filling a growler from the tap. Shelf life of a growler is limited, though.

How long can a beer be stored in a growler and I hate bottling day. It's the only part of the hobby I don't like and that's why I'm considering switching. I'm just not sure how complicated it is to keg.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kegging is pretty easy, most up front cost though. Once its in the keg, just use a chart to set your volume of co2 you want. Adjust the regulator, apply co2, check for leaks, purge, and set it and forget it or you can force carb it.

I switched recently. Bottled about 55 5 gallon batches first. I am happy with decision to move to kegs but here are a few considerations.

1. Cost is more than you think it will be or that most people here will admit to. I am probably close to $1,000 at this point with 5 kegs, a chest freezer, a beginner CO2 system using picnic taps to serve from 2 kegs and carb 4 kegs at at time. Also got a keg washer, ratchets, beer and gas line, lube, extra gaskets, I dont know all I bought but it adds up.

2. Beer goes really fast in kegs. I am working hard to get my pipeline caught up so I can stop forcecarbing and drinking green beer. I am hoping to get some of these kegs filled and let them age in the keg for 4-6 weeks before tapping. Maybe need to invest in some smaller beer glasses too.

3. Bottling day is in fact crazy easy. Even better is not having empties piling up all over the place that need to be cleaned and stored.

4. Growler filling for sharing with friends is the way to go. A growler is good for several days if not opened and then about 24 hours. I put a bottle filling wand in my picnic tap to fill the growler. I imagine I will fill some bottles for competitions that way but havent tried yet.

5. I said this is expensive right...Good luck with trying to save cost buying all this stuff on CL. I watched that off and on for months and in my area just doesnt happen. Also be prepared to pay though the nose for kegs.

Alright well thanks for the good advice. I'm going to start saving to get into it now. It just sounds a lot more convenient than bottling is.

+1 on convenience AND expense. I just kegged my first batch last weekend and I am at least into it for $500. ( two three gallon kegs and two five gallon kegs), regulator, tank, connections.....

I believe it will be well worth it in the time savings alone.

What kind of regulator will I need for multiple kegs running on one co2 tank?

I use a dual regulator so I can serve at two different pressures but the main line pressure has a 4 way manifold. My wife likes home made soda which needs a higher carb pressure. You can just jump the CO2 line from keg to keg to pressurize different amounts would have to just jump it back after a few servings to keep it coming out of the tap

I haven't tried filling bottles yet, but I have filled a few growers. I just stick a vinyl tube into my faucet and back my regulator down to ~3psi. I place the growler in a pot and start filling. I stop when the foam starts flowing over. I Maybe only lose an ounce or two of beer. It's fairly simple and quick. I've seen people make counts pressure bottle fills r s and there's always the Blichmann Beer Gun. I can't justify the beer gun since I wouldn't use it often. I might try one of the homemade counter pressure fillers though. I believe you really need a perculated faucet though, which I don't have.

Back