Decided I don't like lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keggert

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now dont get me wrong I love a good oktoberfest, bock etc... Its just I went to my beer fridge to get me one of my favorite bitters, and low and behold hmm almost out, I'll grab one of the ales hmm two left whats going on here. Oh wait my fermenting fridge is taken up with a dunkel, a oktoberfest, bock, and a maibock still lagering. Nothing worse then running low on drinkable beer, but still having a somewhat large reserve you can't/shouldn't touch.:tank:

Aw, man, this is me right now. I love lagers. I have 3 beers carbonating/conditioning in my kegerator that I'm not touching for a bit. It's annoying that it seems all my beers run out at once and I having nothing ready to replace them with. I need to brew more than twice a month I guess. I brew 4 gallon batches. I've thought about brewing 2 or so gallon batches and bottling so I could brew weekly. Might need more fermenters though. I hate not having beer ready to drink. I actually have to go buy beer to keep me happy.

Just had a Grolsch for the first time yesterday. I've had many a good, bad, and average lager, and it was easily one of the best drinking lagers I've ever had. Plus the flip top bottles are reusable! Plan on brewing a lager for myself soon, before the weather get's too warm for lagering. Just waiting for my Northern order to come now.

The only lagers I like are the dark ones. The rest have no flavor. Give me a "good" ale any day over any lager.

It's even worse when you keg lagers. I end up having one tap out of commission. It is rewarding when you finally get that first pull of lagery goodness though.

Aw, man, this is me right now. I love lagers. I have 3 beers carbonating/conditioning in my kegerator that I'm not touching for a bit. It's annoying that it seems all my beers run out at once and I having nothing ready to replace them with. I need to brew more than twice a month I guess. I brew 4 gallon batches. I've thought about brewing 2 or so gallon batches and bottling so I could brew weekly. Might need more fermenters though. I hate not having beer ready to drink. I actually have to go buy beer to keep me happy.

I don't understand. How does brewing smaller batches allow you to brew more often?

I brew 10 gal now because the increase in time to do so was worth the extra 5 gallons. I feel if I go smaller then I have to brew more often, so I am very interested in how this works for you.

What would happen to your lagering efforts if you took one of the lager out of the fermenting fridge. let the temperature rise on the others until you reached ale fermenting temp, fermented the ale until the fast ferment was slowing down, then took the ale out and restarted the lagering of the rest. Your ale can continue to ferment at room temp and be done and bottled while you wait for the lagers.

I hate them too. Forced me to buy a lagering fridge (well buy a new kitchen fridge) and build a fermentation chamber. Kegs all over the place and all that waiting and waiting. I just have to keep brewing :ban:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394690058.881624.jpg
Cold storage. All drinkable

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Doing lagers is what made me see the advantage of having a separate lagering freezer in addition to the fermenter fridge. Tying up the fermenter chamber those extra weeks just wouldn't cut it anymore.

On the bright side, I just did the first pull on a Dunkel that had been lagering for 3 months waiting for an open tap. One sip and I was reminded that lagers are indeed a PITA, but so worth it. :mug:

Back