Decarbonating keg fully for bulk ageing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbed

Reaction score
I have force carbonated RIS in keg that is good, but not excellent.

So i was thinking to decarbonate it and then add to it some oak chips and vanilla to improve it.

My question is, how to decarbonate the beer in keg completely to add oak and vanilla? Or is it good just to add them to carbonated beer?

Why does it need to be decarbonated? Instead of adding oak chips though, I'd make an oak flavored tincture by soaking the oak in vodka and do a blending trial to see how much to add. Its easy to over-oak a beer.

How old is it? RISs usually benefit from a long aging period before they really come into their own. If this is a relatively fresh beer, I'd put it aside, fully carbed and in the keg until maybe Thanksgiving or later. If it's still a little meh at that time, then consider adding oak, vanilla, etc.

I have force carbonated RIS in keg that is good, but not excellent.

So i was thinking to decarbonate it and then add to it some oak chips and vanilla to improve it.

My question is, how to decarbonate the beer in keg completely to add oak and vanilla? Or is it good just to add them to carbonated beer?

To decarbonate fully you'd need to warm Up your keg and vent several times until no more CO2 comes out.
If what you want is to depressurize the keg so you are Able to open it, you. Need to cool it as much as possible to keep as much CO2 in solution then when head pressure drops, you may open the keg and do your thing

How old is it? RISs usually benefit from a long aging period before they really come into their own. If this is a relatively fresh beer, I'd put it aside, fully carbed and in the keg until maybe Thanksgiving or later. If it's still a little meh at that time, then consider adding oak, vanilla, etc.

It is about 8 months old. I will leave it few months alone for sure, but was thinking to split batch to second keg and add flavors. My only concern was that is carbonated, so how would react with flavors.

I think that i'll split the batch, and try to remove most of co2 that i can from one keg and then add flavors.

Back