Dealing with traffic turnaround in private driveway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I have a house located off a fairly busy road. My driveway is rather enticing to folks who are lost because it is a half circle, making turn arounds easy.

I use one end for an exit while the other end is used for an entrance due to the slope of the driveway and a blind spot.

Lost drivers like to enter through the exit side and exit through the entrance side. The problem is that when they exit uphill, they dig a rut and throw stone all over. Every few weeks I have to shuffle rocks around with a dirt rake and fill in the ruts in the stone.

So whats the solution? I could pave the entire driveway for these a$$holes but this would likely draw more people in as they see a nicely paved U-turn.

I could block off one side of the circle but this would make entering dangerous as there is a blind spot.

A sign saying "Pretty please don't use my driveway as a turn around" would likely be ignored.

Here's the idea that I thought of. Post the signs below to detour traffic. I would post them both on the house facing side and road facing side. It will be interesting to see the confused look on peoples faces as they wonder which way they can exit without running over the non-existent one way spike strips.

How effective do you think this will be? Anyone find a better way?

STOP-Do-Not-Enter-Sign-K-8289.gif

That sign should help. Barricades that are easy to move but chained together and to something fixed (so they can't be stolen) would also work.

That sign should help. Barricades that are easy to move but chained together and to something fixed (so they can't be stolen) would also work.

I should also add that this is an apartment complex with several tenants. Trying to keep a barricade closed would be near impossible.

Talk to the city. They are usually willing to put up signage to deter this if you complain. One concern about your sign-it looks like an official street sign and you could get in trouble for that.

Talk to the city. They are usually willing to put up signage to deter this if you complain. One concern about your sign-it looks like an official street sign and you could get in trouble for that.

Didn't really think about the appearance of this sign but I believe you are right. Wouldn't want people slamming on brakes, thinking for a second that its a stop sign.

That type of sign worked for me, do you one better and paint a 2x8 dark color with streaks on it and lay it flush with the gravel to look like a one way strip.

Something else that worked for me push nails all the way through some beer cans about 10 per can in all directions and toss them in the drive way. Makes for an interesting conversation when you catch them. Nobody is scared to run over a beer can but you can dodge them on the way in. Of course I was being stolen from.

Had a sigh that said " New protocol. Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will strangled because of ammunition tax." the thieves must have thought that was funny cause they stole it! :D
You could try this one
Tyre_Shredder-500px.jpg

Maybe a yellow "Wrong way" sign? Used to keep me from driving into oncoming traffic on the highway...

On private property, you can make any dang sign you chose so long as it is located on your private drive and not in the state/county right-of-way.

Since this isn't a single family residence it's not going to be feasible to put up a gate or cable that requires manual opening/closing so I sign really is your best bet.

On private property, you can make any dang sign you chose so long as it is located on your private drive and not in the state/county right-of-way.

Since this isn't a single family residence it's not going to be feasible to put up a gate or cable that requires manual opening/closing so I sign really is your best bet.

This guys right you live in NC we got the 60 foot from center thing. One problem is it can be considered a PVA or "public vehicle area"

Technically you only need to pave the driveway close to the road so people can take off safely without digging the ruts.

The driveway exit is paved a few feet towards the house and is fairly level. The part that used for an entrance is downhill from the road and is not paved.

The entrance works just fine until it is used as an exit. Loose gravel + uphill + taking off is usually not a good combination. If they understood this I wouldn't have to fill in ruts. :mad:

Back