Deaf delivery guy + broken door bell = awkward

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm working on my first soda attempt in the kitchen yesterday. Haven't really started yet but I'm elbow deep in suds and both sinks are full of stuff I'm cleaning and/or sterilizing. All the windows are open and there is a nice breeze going.

I notice out of the corner of my eye there is a truck parked out front, not unusual as there is a lot of space in front of my fence so people tend to use it. It just looked like a regular pickup, not a delivery truck, so I didn't think twice about it and went back to washing.

Now a little background first. I have a big dog that likes nothing more than to let me (and whatever is coming) know when someone or something enters my property. A marching band could go by in the street but the second someone crosses the gate line he is at the window and gives them a bark or two to say hello. Oh and my doorbell doesn't work...

So back to washing but something is bugging me, you know that itch like someone is watching you or something is wrong or whatever. I look back at the front of the house and notice the shadow of someone at the door. Hrm, dude must be a ninja. The dog didn't care and I didn't hear a damn thing. Oh well he must be a solicitor hanging an ad on my door or something or he would've knocked or shouted out since I'm clearly visible through the window when you walk up.

OK back to what I'm doing but after finishing the pot and flipping it up to dry the shadow is still there and has barely moved... weird. So I call out "You got a delivery for me?" but there is no response. At this point I'm curious so I grab a towel and dry off as I head to the front door.

I open the door and there is a delivery guy standing there with a box. I say the usual inane hello but he motions to his ears then offers up the standard electronic pad for me to sign for my package. I do the signature and he mimes for me to punch in my last name then I'm back inside with my package.

As I'm opening the package I hear a truck start up out front and pull away. It was the pickup I saw earlier... like ten minutes earlier. Awkward, that guy was standing there for a good ten minutes waiting for me to answer thinking he had rung the bell.

The upside is I have enough o-rings to keep my kegs going for a LONG time now, heh.

Maybe you should fix your doorbell. :p

I would have to imagine that being a delivery guy is tough to do when deaf. But, I can sympathize b/c I have rang doorbells before and not heard them. It is very awkward to try to decide if you should wait or knock.

Probably wasn't awkward for anyone but you. He has probably had this happen before.

This reminds me of a time when some coworkers and I traveled to California. One of the first things on the agenda was to buy some beer. We went into a large grocery store and couldn't find the beer. I asked an employee where the beer was and it was clear he didn't understand me. So I asked for cerveza. This time he signed that he did not understand and that he was deaf. Fortunately I know sign and was able to communicate my need to him. I think a person needs to know how to say beer in as many languages as possible.

Hahaha. This is classic.

I hate to be the "guy" who brings up old threads, but just had to. This could have ended up where both guys got pissed, but it was all OK.

I can kind of relate because my wife and I have been teaching our sons sign language since they were 6 months young. There is no other reason than we wanted to be able to communicate with them before their vocal cords were developed.

Let me tell you that it's awesome to be able to communicate with them when they can't vocalize their thoughts.

Anywho. I happen to come across this thread by searching for "cerveza." :D

E

Latest posts

Back