Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galexior

Reaction score
Quite some time ago, I purchased a large amount of dry yeast (Red Star and Lalvin, various varieties). It wasn't until a few months later I read on the packets "Keep Refrigerated". Every time I proof a packet, no bubbles form, but I pitch it anyway, and fermentation usually starts in a few days, much much slower than it would normally. Is this a problem that will affect the quality of the mead, or can I continue to use these packets? It is not really a huge deal, but I would hate to see such packets go to waste. If I recall correctly, the Lalvin was EC-1118 and the Red Star was Premier Cuvee I think... I planned on starting a batch or two with local honey in the next few days and was hoping to not have to buy anything more than honey and fruit.

Ah, the so called "proof the packet" thing.......

Not entirely sure what that alludes too, but if you just mean rehydrating as per the instructions, then it's entirely possible for the yeast to have died off, or some of it anyway.

If you "make a starter" each time, then that should still give a large enough colony for the yeast to ferment in the usual way (and the fermentation often kicks off quicker too).

Rehydration/yeast starters made with GoFerm can often help. Any nutrient/energiser that has DAP in it, isn't always as helpful as it may seem.

I'd have thought that the packs should still be OK if they seem to be starting, just taking longer.

A good search around will likely tell you that the best storage for yeast, even dry yeast, is in the freezer, in airtight packaging.........

You could make a starter to grow the viable yeast population.

And yes, the freezer is best for dry yeast storage. Still viable after 2 years past the exp. date, although a bit sluggish.

So, lacking GoFerm, I could rehydrate my (hopefully not dead) yeast with a small amount of sugar, to give them a bit of a head start and to ensure they are, in fact, not dead?

I am certainly going to invest in some GoFerm for future batches, and store all my yeast in the freezer. Would It be bad to freeze my (hopefully not dead) yeast at this point, or would it minimize the damage that was already done?

Rehydrating dry yeast in plain water before pitching has proven to be very useful, preserving most yeast cells vs. sprinkling dry yeast on top of wort or must (up to 50% gets killed). I know you're making mead, not beer, but I don't think adding simple sugar is a positive way to "proof" your yeast. Wouldn't it be better to make a light 1 or 2 liter starter with some DME or Honey (SG 1.020-1.030) and grow the population for a day (or 2) before you pitch the slurry? Read the sticky on making yeast starters. Or pitch multiple packets.

Freezing now will slow down the dormant yeast mortality process, so they will live longer, leaving you with more viable cells later when you make a starter or pitch.

Latest posts

Back