Dead Ringer seems a little heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does the Dead Ringer Extract benefit from some cellaring? I fermented for 3 weeks to 1.012. Primed with 5 oz of corn sugar and then carbed for 3 weeks around 68 to 71. To me it seems somewhat syrupy compared to the 2 hearted. Carbonation was still a little lacking so I allowed it to sit another week and tried again. Not much of a change. I've also tried allowing it to cold condition for 2 weeks and still seems "thick" in mouthfeel. I have compared it side by side with the Bells, and definitely something is off.
I did a late addition at 15 minutes from flame out and used RO water as well.
I love the Bells Two Hearted and am a little disappointed. My brew has the nose and the flavor, but the texture is thick.

Any advice?

Syrupy at 1.012 seems a bit odd. It's an ipa, and those are usually good to go pretty quickly. Dead Ringer was the first batch i brewed, and i thought it turned out pretty good (not as good as two hearted though)

Carbonation is lacking in the beer I have drank thus far. I did not stir in any of the corn sugar, only racking on top of it. I will see as time progresses. I may run into some that will be overly carbonate due to the lack of mixing, though I've read otherwise on the need to stir.

Latest posts

Back