Dead Guy Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much grain do you want to mash? When I did PM I usually did 2-6 pounds of grain, you're looking at at least 6-7 pounds for the CYBI recipe. Also are you doing full boils?

To be honest this is my first partial mash so I really don't know what im doing. So I could use some tips and help im sure.

Look into "Brew-in-a bag" aka "BIAB". Deathbrewer has a great tutorial stickied here somewhere, easy to find.

How much grain you mash depends on your equipment - how big your brewpots are (I found it best to use one pot for the mash, a second pot for the dunking).

You should make friends with a brewing calculator - there's only about a dozen or so online, for free or for a nominal cost. Beersmith, Brewtarget, Tastybrew, Hopville, Brewmaster's Warehouse, etc etc etc. Learn how to swap out amounts of base grains and extracts and get the gravity you want. Once you can do that, ANY recipe will be within your reach.

Cheers!

Thanks for the help...
At this point I have about a four 3.5 to 4 gal pot and I have a 3 gal water cooler for mash that I got from midwestsupplies.com.

2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs 9.1 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM)
1.80 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
Pacman, S-05 or WLP001 for yeast, ferment at 60F

Something like that should be fairly close.

Latest posts

Back