DDH NEIPA Hops Conical Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brewing a NEIPA this weekend and planning to do two large dry hop additions. One in a few days when primary fermentation slows down and then a second dry hop +7 days. I am planning to drop hop pellets in without any muslin bag.

Question: should I dump the first hops that have settled out of the conical before my 2nd addition or just leave them in there? I'm mostly concerned with reducing grassy flavors for first addition being in there too long.

Huge thanks in advance!

Dave O

I'm brewing a NEIPA this weekend and planning to do two large dry hop additions. One in a few days when primary fermentation slows down and then a second dry hop +7 days. I am planning to drop hop pellets in without any muslin bag.

Question: should I dump the first hops that have settled out of the conical before my 2nd addition or just leave them in there? I'm mostly concerned with reducing grassy flavors for first addition being in there too long.

Huge thanks in advance!

Dave O

If reducing grassiness is your goal, keep dry hopping times <72 hours. 7 days is overkill.

Am I better off just doing a larger single dry hop <72 hours before kegging?

I was wondering if benefit of ddh and dumping 1st hops out of conical a few days later (so they only a sit total of 3 days) and then a second round < 72 hours before kegging

Huge thanks in advance!

Dave O

Have you ever tasted a grassy flavor from dry hopping for a long time, or have you just read about it on forums?

I've done it both ways, including a massive dry hop that was left for 3 weeks. I've never experienced myself what grassy is. If you've tasted it, dump them early. If you haven't why not leave it in. In my experience, when you start dumping you end up throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Am I better off just doing a larger single dry hop <72 hours before kegging?

I was wondering if benefit of ddh and dumping 1st hops out of conical a few days later (so they only a sit total of 3 days) and then a second round < 72 hours before kegging

If you have the ability to keep O2 out when adding the dry hops, then split them up into 2-3 oz additions. Provides better contact with the liquid when they aren’t all clumped up.

I usually use muslin bags and take out first dry hop before adding second. I'm trying just free hop pellets this time. Per usual I'm probably over thinking it, so I'm just going to leave first dh and avoid dumping. Will report back.

You might want to dry hop when fermentation slows down . After 3 to 4 days lower your temp causing hop particles to drop then dump . Then 3 to 4 days before you package do your second dry hop addition.

After you drop temp, do you raise temp back up for 2nd dh to help with aroma and also diaceytl rest?

After you drop temp, do you raise temp back up for 2nd dh to help with aroma and also diaceytl rest?

Since your wanting to DH at the end of fermentation I'd let it rise for diacetyl rest after the 1st DH , then drop the temp then dump trub, yeast ect.....

My technique when doing lots of hopping is
1.All late hops in the kettle don't get transferred to the fermenter
2. Find a way to add dry hops without opening fermenter.
3. Dry hop no more than 3 days
4. If a double dry hop is wanted then just keg hop for the second dose (drink the whole keg in less than a month), or else buy a hop randall
5. CO2 pressure xfer fermenter to keg.

Back