DC Metro area group buy #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought we were up to 82 bags on the last order that never happened. That's seems to be a lot demand that vanished.

This is my reason only as I cant speak for everybody.

The new drive (Rockville) and new prices have made it not worth it unless I get a large order (which I don't need currently).

Here is my breakdown:

• Lowest 2 row grain price $41.18
  • Driving 100 miles at 4 dollars a gallon (23 miles to the gallon) $16
  • total price $57.18
  • priced shipped from online retailer (midwest): $ 58.95 shipped (34.99 not shipped if i could walk into midwest).

I am not saying Stonebrewers efforts are not worth it, they are. We just need to order several bags to actually get any savings.

Edit - if we are going off Jay's list then 2 row is 4.19 cheaper then my list above (52.99 total, beating Midwest by 5.96). It would still take a few bags to make it a trip, which i will do when that time comes.

So just to be clear, we are only ordering off of Jay's list? The only thing I ordered off of his list was the 1x Rahr 2-row Pale Malt. I looked at his other price list and he has everything (I think) except the Carapils & 10L Crystal (he's gotta have them too) listed. When should we have his prices on these by the sack?
Thanks!

I'm in for:
1x Rahr 2-row Pale Malt
1x Briess Carapils
2x Briess Flaked Barley
1x Briess Flaked Wheat

I'm looking to split 1/2 on:
1x Briess 10L Crystal
1x Briess 60L Crystal
1x Briess Roasted Barley

Quick update as I am mobile. We can get Briess DME for 115 plus tax for 50 lbs. We can get crystal for 45 plus tax for Briess. I will check on pagerage's request when I get back.

Pickup can be arranged in Manassas in advance if you can make it when I am doing the pickup. If you can't make it when I am there you will have to come to the pickup in Rockville. Remember I am going out of my way to help and the LHBS is doing us a huge favor, so if you want something outside of the norm you gotta work within the parameters I lay out.

I think we are at 40! Will verify when I ger home to verify with my spreadsheet. Will post tomorrow night with details. Will upload spreadsheet as well. Cheers all!

Could you please add to my order:

2x Briess Pilsen Light DME
1x Briess Bavarian Wheat DME

I'm in for:
1x Rahr 2-row Pale Malt
1x Briess Carapils
2x Briess Flaked Barley
1x Briess Flaked Wheat

1x Briess 10L Crystal
1x Briess 60L Crystal
1x Briess Roasted Barley

I want at least half but if a couple folks want 1/4 that's cool too!

1x Briess 10L Crystal
1x Briess 60L Crystal
1x Briess Roasted Barley

Alright, Olive Drab and atjsparty are taking 1/4 each of the 10L & 60L and I have 1/2. atjsparty has 10 lbs of the Roasted Barley and I have the rest.

But 15 lbs Roasted Barley available if you need it!

OK gents, this thread will now close for further grain requests as we are over 40. I will open a second one once I get everything tallied and posted, as well as some more info from our HBS. I am trying to sort the thread out and ensure those who asked for grain get it in the order asked, as a couple may get left out until the next buy. I will post where the cutoff was later tonight and I will also post the order sheet as it is going to our supplier so you know what I think you ordered and what you owe. I talked to the owner today and he said it is a week to 10 days to get the order once he calls it in, so as soon as I have tracking information I will let you know when and where to pickup. The splits have been a real pain to track, so I want to find a better way to do that but have no ideas yet. Since I like to split from time to time, I won't discourage it.

Subscribing so I can participate in the next group buy! Thanks for the hard work, stonebrewer

Hey all. Still waiting for the HBS to get back to me. Some people asked for things that I don't have prices for so that is slowing me down a bit. Hopefully he will answer tomorrow, though it is Easter so he may not get back to me until Monday. Speaking of Monday, I think that is when he will call in our order.

Cheers!
Stonebrewer

A possible idea would be to force people to handle their splits privately between parties. Meaning someone commits to buying and paying for that bag completely, and can then worry about splitting up the contents and cost outside of the group buy. You could obviously discuss it here and all, but the idea being that one person alone is responsible for purchasing each whole bag.

That would make it much easier to track payments and tally the palate.

A possible idea would be to force people to handle their splits privately between parties. Meaning someone commits to buying and paying for that bag completely, and can then worry about splitting up the contents and cost outside of the group buy. You could obviously discuss it here and all, but the idea being that one person alone is responsible for purchasing each whole bag.

That would make it much easier to track payments and tally the palate.

A couple of people have suggested that and I think it is a good idea. If people who are splitting for this round can let me know who it the primary, I can update my spreadsheet to reflect that. Haven't heard from Jay's yet, but not suprised since it is a holiday and all. I will definitely have the sheet out for review tomorrow once he gets back to me on some prices and I hear back on the splits. For now, I will just go through the threads and assign a primary to the first person in a group to ask for a sack to split. PM me if you have a problem with doing it that way.

Happy Easter all!

Is 40 the limit or is it 42? The previous bulks were 42 sacks IIRC.

I'm split on the idea of assigning the first buyer as the primary buyer for split purchases. Although it takes a lot of calculations out of the equation, the bigger challenge becomes for the splitters to get together at the right time.

We'll see how it goes. First time for everything, right?

IL: I asked that same question of Jay's. He said 40 originally but I asked specifically if it was 40 or 42. I also asked if DME counted toward the total or not. Waiting on an answer.

Stefin: You got in. Hey, about the PBW question...are you going to offer it to the group buy? If so, how much? If people want it and Stefin provides it, please bring something to haul it away in, like a ziplock bag or the like.

IL: I asked that same question of Jay's. He said 40 originally but I asked specifically if it was 40 or 42. I also asked if DME counted toward the total or not. Waiting on an answer.

Stefin: You got in. Hey, about the PBW question...are you going to offer it to the group buy? If so, how much? If people want it and Stefin provides it, please bring something to haul it away in, like a ziplock bag or the like.

fwiw, DME is 50 lbs, so it should count (did for me).

PBW, Ill part with a large amount for 3$ an LB.

I'll take the lead on the bag of Weyerman Light Munich 3-way split. Also confirming my order for Briess Bavarian Wheat DME now that the price is known.

Still working with Jay's on the list. There was a little confusion, but I think we are straightened out. Once he gets me final pricing on one or two items, I can post and order. Looks like it is going to be tomorrow. Sorry for the delays, but we needed to work through this once to get a process down that will work. I think the last thing to get worked out is the flaked items, everything else I think we have worked out. Check here tomorrow for a post which will tell you how much you owe. I will also upload my spreadsheet with all the details so you can give me a second check...

Still working with Jay's on the list. There was a little confusion, but I think we are straightened out. Once he gets me final pricing on one or two items, I can post and order. Looks like it is going to be tomorrow. Sorry for the delays, but we needed to work through this once to get a process down that will work. I think the last thing to get worked out is the flaked items, everything else I think we have worked out. Check here tomorrow for a post which will tell you how much you owe. I will also upload my spreadsheet with all the details so you can give me a second check...

Ah, glad to hear we're getting close to ordering.

Just a reminder.
Don't forget to include the VA sales taxes in the final price.

Don't forget to include the VA sales taxes in the final price.

It's in the spreadsheet. I am also rounding up to the nearest dollar, cuz I am not dealing with change. You will see when I upload the spreadsheet. For the second buy, I will upload the workbook, minus the sheet with actual orders. I have three tabs, tab one showing what each person owes, sheet two being what each person ordered, and sheet three being the price list. It will make sense when you see it. I am sure there is a better way to format it, but this works for me. If someone wants to rearrange it to make it more automatic, that would be awesome. The price list has the base price, sack weight, price plus tax, and price per lb.

OK, all questions and concerns have been dealt with and I am giving him (and you) the final list tonight once I get home. We are able to buy 40 sacks per pallet, not 42. I need to look at the first order again because I think we were at 42 so I may have to downsize an order or two based on first come, first served. The second buy is filling up nicely, so it will probably mean a week or two wait for the person at the end of the line. It looks like I can have it dropped shipped to my house, which will save me a day of ferrying it back from Manassas in two loads. There is a small upcharge for that, but it is cheaper than the gas would have been, not to mention my time and wear and tear on my truck. A new price list will go out tonight as part of the order info I am sending you. Prices have not changed, but I have added several items to the list and have tax added so you know exactly out of pocket cost. We are able to get DME on this order, and the sacks count against our total of 40 per pallet. I expect the order to come in next week. Look here tonight for more info...

Tony

OK, all questions and concerns have been dealt with and I am giving him (and you) the final list tonight once I get home. We are able to buy 40 sacks per pallet, not 42. I need to look at the first order again because I think we were at 42 so I may have to downsize an order or two based on first come, first served. The second buy is filling up nicely, so it will probably mean a week or two wait for the person at the end of the line. It looks like I can have it dropped shipped to my house, which will save me a day of ferrying it back from Manassas in two loads. There is a small upcharge for that, but it is cheaper than the gas would have been, not to mention my time and wear and tear on my truck. A new price list will go out tonight as part of the order info I am sending you. Prices have not changed, but I have added several items to the list and have tax added so you know exactly out of pocket cost. We are able to get DME on this order, and the sacks count against our total of 40 per pallet. I expect the order to come in next week. Look here tonight for more info...

Tony

having it drop shipped for 75$ was worth every cent... never would have done as many as i did without!

OK order is in. Here is where people ended up:

atjsparty $132
robfar $212
islandlizard $161
john0872 $39
tmaccius $39
royski $131
stevedasleeve $132
hillbrewer $54
pagerage $319
barnesie $132
stonebrewer $40
zomanb $88
flytact $132
res291que $82
claphamsa $80
socal2009 $50

If you are splitting, I assigned the total cost to the person who first proposed the split. You need to work it out with the other person or persons to get them their grain and get your cash. If that doesn't work, let me know but it sure would be easier on me if we can handle it that way.

I have uploaded the sheet to my dropbox, filename is Group%20Buy%20%231%20UL.xlsx

You should be able to cut the name, paste it over the name of the price list I sent you in email, and download to see what you are getting.

I have also uploaded a new price sheet as promised, with tax included and all the stuff that was added during this buy. Same deal, except overwrite with this: Price%20List.xlsx. This data is also on a sheet in the group buy #1 spreadsheet, so you really only need the first one if you made an order. If you did not make an order, then you might want to snag the price list.

As far as details for pickup and payment: I will email the 16 of you when the grain will arrive and where you can pickup (and when). I would absolutely prefer to do this on the weekend after it comes in and get it done. The way the second buy is going, it will roll out pretty fast after this one so I want this done and in the books. I am setting up for a paypal registered account, but suspect that you will have to pay cash the first time. Please no checks, IOUs, cartons of cigarettes, old shoes, or anything of that sort. If you want to show some love and bring a bottle or two of your best homemade libation, I will gladly accept it and let you know what I think. Hell, I may even ask for your recipe!!

We have come a long way in a few weeks, and our list of available items has grown quite a bit. Hopefully this is not too painful and we can make a lot of hooch to keep us all sane!

Cheers!!
Tony

Thank you, Tony, for organizing the group buy. I know this sort of thing takes a lot of time and effort.

Somma'bith, I thought the pickup was going to be in manassas! Alright, I'd rather do paypal if you can get that setup in time, but if not I'll make my way to a bank.

Just now got a chance to download the list and looks like the C60 didn't get on this buy? Did you go ahead and add it to the second buy? I believe Masonsjax was gonna split with me. Thanks for the hard work

Back