Dating young women

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandstoneCityBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was having a conversation with a buddy the other night about dating young women. (We have a buddy that continually dates young women, sometimes a difference of 10-12 years!)

So the question at hand, how young is too young for you? What's the biggest gap in age in a relationship that you've had?

Unfortunately I always ended up dating older women. But there is something to be said about trading in for two younger ones. Good thing my wife doesn't like beer.. ;) your buddy pi$$ed all the rest of us married old guys off...

I'm 30 and currently attend grad school full time at a major Philadelphia university. Whenever walking through campus all I see are hot undergrads EVERYWHERE. Seeing all these hot women, I come to the same conclusion, I need a 19 year old girlfriend like I need a hole in my head.

I don't mean to offend anyone or their daughters but a good amount of younger women are needy, insecure, and immature. After a few years of growing up they might be great, but not right now.

Half your age, plus 7 years.

That's THE rule.

Was going to post that... ran the numbers - mine would barely be able to (legally) drink.

My GF loves good beer almost as much as I do, but a younger model might complain less - not so jaded or whatever. hmmm....

Was going to post that... ran the numbers - mine would barely be able to (legally) drink.

My GF loves good beer almost as much as I do, but a younger model might complain less - not so jaded or whatever. hmmm....

Or a younger model more likely will complain more because the craft beer you are drinking taste nasty and that its not like coors lite.

I dated six years older...that was a mistake...I dated three years younger that was a bigger mistake...I married the same age it was just right! :ban:

When I was 21 I dated and lived with a 30 year old woman. I broke it off with her after about 18 months. She was too immature and wouldn't grow up. I ended up married at 28 to a 21 year old. We just had out 10th anniversary in April. She's the best thing to ever happen to me next to our kids. Just like hops and malt, it's about balance if you want a good result. I could have married someone 10 years older than me if it was right, but it wasn't! Age has nothing to do with it! However if your just trying to get your keg tapped then go with whatever gets your krausen up!

I was married to a woman 12 years older then me. It was good for 8 years until she passed away. Now married to a woman 10 years younger then me been together 12 years. I'm finding it harder to keep up as I seem to be aging faster then she is but it's all good.....

Years ago, some friends and I met up with some college girls. It didn't take long for us to realize that the idea of college girls is much more interesting than actually spending time with college girls.

Having said that, my parents are 11 years apart, and they've been married for almost 44 years.

It depends on your age. When you're 25, 15 years is a big age difference. (And not legal, if it's 15 years younger........ :D) but when you're 50, it's not such a big gap.

I'm 9 years younger than Bob. But he was 44 when we met, and I was 35. So it wasn't such a big deal.

When my daughter was 19 and engaged to a 30 year old guy, I wasn't quite as delighted.

I have a great friend who is now in his mid-60s, and he always wanted to be with a woman around 30. He told me straight out, "Women fall apart when they turn 40". He took me out (as a friend) for my 40th birthday, and jokingly looked over the dinner table at me to watch me fall apart in front of him. :D He's a bit over the "30" thing now, but his current girlfriend is about 40.

I told him that he is shallow and stupid. He laughed, and agreed. But he still likes women to be 25-30 years younger. Incidentally, he has never had a really great relationship or had a partner he felt that would love him for who he is. One time, he told me that he thought a girlfriend "only wanted to be with me for the money" after putting $22,000 on his Amex card that month.

I was like, "Duh! You think??????" and he said I wasn't very supportive.

Luckily, he is extremely wealthy (he has a plane, a yacht, etc) so he can buy love if he wants. But he has never felt that he has had a true meaningful relationship. Of course, he's been pretty satisfied with the shallow relationships up until now. But at some points, he does find himself alone and lonely for a true companion.

I think age doesn't matter in a relationship, if the people are well suited. But I do admit that I knew a neighbor in Texas had a ton of money, because he was kind of old looking and beat up (but nice) and had a hot 19 year old girlfriend.

When my wife and I got married she was 35 while I was 53, that's 18 years difference. She has stuck with me through my heart attack at 58 and my throat cancer at 64. I'm now 66 and healthy and our marriage is healthy as well. This is not my first marriage (nor her's) but is without a doubt the best. I should have just waited for this one to come along in the first place!:mug:

My husband is 5 years older than I am and the age difference seems right. I dated a man that was 11 years older than i am before i met my husband and that was fun also... except that he was/is an *******.
And yes, most people do fall apart at 40. :eek:

I've dated women older, younger, and the same age. BY FAR, the worst relationships were always with younger women. They're fun at first, but the age and maturity difference very quickly surface, and the fun times fizzle.

I'm not saying you can't be happy in a relationship like this... But it isn't something I want to try again. Keep in mind, I'm also talking about being in my mid to late twenties in college and dating 19 and 20 year olds. The older we get, the less that age matters.

I'm now happily married to a woman the same age as me (well actually she's about a year older... And hates that fact! Lol)

Have never been considerate of age. In fact, had one girlfriend I had no clue how old she was until we celebrated her birthday together. For me it's all about personality and whether or not ours fit or clash. However, my trend has always been to date older women.

I'm 9 years younger than Bob. But he was 44 when we met, and I was 35. So it wasn't such a big deal.

When my daughter was 19 and engaged to a 30 year old guy, I wasn't quite as delighted.

Well of course.

44/2+7=29, so you and Bob were in the clear.

30/2+7=22, so your daughter's fiancee broke the rule.

In my opinion it really depends on the people involved and the age. Some people are more/less mature than others. It is all about finding the right maturity level (and for the shallowness part) physical attractiveness ratio for you. I am now in my mid 30s. I have dated 7 years younger than me (and regretted it for the lack of maturity) and dated 5 years above me (she had trouble with the age difference). Like Yooper said, 5 years is a lot when you are in your early 20s (20 yo and 15? way different maturity level), not so much in the 30s, even less in your 40s, etc. The half your age plus 7 is kinda a for acceptability, but there are times where it works outside of that. Think of the 80 year old sugar daddies who date early 20 somethings who want a relationship with him and his money. As long as everyone is okay with that and happy, whats it matter?

Personally, at my stage in life, I tend to keep a 5 year range in who I date. Mainly because if I go more than 5 years younger than me I run into too much of the college mentality/maturity and quickly get annoyed. I have found that a lot of the women I meet have a harder time dating a younger guy than the other way around(maybe I am the immature one there).

Wow, I didn't realize how many people here were single or on second (or third, or fourth...) marriages.

I met my wife when I was 15, she was 14. We started dating when I was 17, we got married when I was 25. I just turned 40. I've been with the same woman my entire life. I'd be utterly clueless if I had to return to the dating pool tomorrow.

Wow, I didn't realize how many people here were single or on second (or third, or fourth...) marriages.

I met my wife when I was 15, she was 14. We started dating when I was 17, we got married when I was 25. I just turned 40. I've been with the same woman my entire life. I'd be utterly clueless if I had to return to the dating pool tomorrow.

Same boat here. I was 18, she was 17, married at 20 & 19. 20 years together, married for 18. I couldn't date another woman now if I tried.

I've been married to my swmbo longer than many HBT members have been alive :tank:

Same boat here. I was 18, she was 17, married at 20 & 19. 20 years together, married for 18. I couldn't date another woman now if I tried.

Congrats guys! I also got married as a teenager (18 and 19). Then divorced in my early twenties... :tank:

It's awesome that it worked out for you two, but I truly believe that most people shouldn't marry that young. I am a completely different person now than I was at that age. As a teenager, we barely know who we are, let alone how we will grow with another person.

I was married to a girl my own age for about 2 years before the wheels fell off. She acted like and tried to be my mother among many other things that were bad. I'm now with someone who is 8 years younger and we get along great. She's 23 and I'm 31. She never tries to control me and is truly supportive of me and anything I want to do.

I believe everyone should have a practice marriage.

My first lasted four years and ended amicably - we figured out it wasn't going to work forever before we had kids.
My wife's first lasted three years - and had an O'Henry ending. Also no kids.

We got married 39 years ago next April...

Cheers! (two successful sons :mug:)

Or a younger model more likely will complain more because the craft beer you are drinking taste nasty and that its not like coors lite.

If thats all she complains about, I'll both save money with her not drinking my beer and deal with significantly less complaining.

Win-win.

I found your friend OP

4HyPMel.jpg

I started dating my wife when I was 17 and she was 15. We broke up when I was 22. We got back together when I was 28 and got married when I was 29.

Latest posts

Back