Date code on safale us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Hello gang, its been along time since I brewed a batch of ale. Getting back into it doing 3 gallon biab. I was wondering if any one could tell me how to read the date code on safale us-05?

I know it has a date when to use it by but how do I tell when it was packaged. I wanted to use Mrmalty and it is asking for this info.

Thanks in advance

You can look at your date code and also calculate how much loss of viability has occurred since packaging.
For every month after packaging, the packet loses 4% of its cell count. Last packet I bought from my LHBS was dated for 04 2016, so assuming it was produced 04 2014 (two years before its date code), it's lost about 16% of its viable cells.
Multiply 20 (cell density of US-05) by (1-.16)= .84, get 16.8, enter all the required info here (http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/) and BAM, the calculator tells me if I need any more packets.
I do 2.5 gal batches and I can usually get away with just using a whole packet.

Back