Darkstar issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marmike600

Reaction score
For my last two brew days I have been unable to get my darkstar burner to do its job. First of the two was pretty damn cold so I thought it was that. Today it is 60f. No excuse. It took an hour for it to get from 80 to 140. Switched to my brinkmann turkey fryer burner and have the wort rocking on an easy full boil.

On the darkstar there is flame but it just won't heat water. I have no idea what could be wrong with it.

Suggestions??

What type of flame is it? Yellow flame or blue torch flame? I would adjust the fuel/oxygen mixture to try to get a better flame..Also how much wort are you trying to heat?

It is a blue flame. Can't really adjust the air intake. Don't know if the didnt send me a part or what but it is the cheesiest intake control ever. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390249607.650908.jpg

It lets in maximum air no matter what u do.

Take some duck tape or better yet some foil tape and adjust the air intake that way. Completely seal up the air intakes and then pop holes into the tape until you get an optimal flame.

Ah, great idea!! Didn't think of that. I do have some foil tape too.

Will that solve the problem?

you said it was your last 2 brews that it didnt work correctly does this infer that you have successfully used it before that. if so you might check the orifices and clen them out

you said it was your last 2 brews that it didnt work correctly does this infer that you have successfully used it before that. if so you might check the orifices and clen them out

True. For some weird reason, spiders like to set up shop in the air intakes.

SPIDERS HATE HOMEBREW.

Ok, so, tore the burner apart and there was nothing in there. No spiders, gunk, nada. No idea. :(

Well, bought a new regulator and used it to brew my Kate the Great clone. No issues. Might have been just a bad regulator like you said. Works now though. :D

Your regulator may not have been bad.

Check out post #24 in this link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dark-star-burner-378138/

"It should boil a 5 gallon easily its the same burner/flame diffuser as a BC jet cooker.
The problem is with the newer regulators leak detector mode.

gone are the days of setting a regulator and turning on or of the gas bottle.

you have to start
gas off/regulator off
gas on
regulator on
everytime
any other sequence and the regulator goes into safety mode and you are forever simmering, if your lucky."

Your regulator may not have been bad.

Check out post #24 in this link:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dark-star-burner-378138/

"It should boil a 5 gallon easily its the same burner/flame diffuser as a BC jet cooker.

The problem is with the newer regulators leak detector mode.

gone are the days of setting a regulator and turning on or of the gas bottle.

you have to start

gas off/regulator off

gas on

regulator on

everytime

any other sequence and the regulator goes into safety mode and you are forever simmering, if your lucky."

+1 My BBQ has done this to me a few times and I've had to "reset" it. Will only simmer and operates normally after a reset.

Back