Dark Saison Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
I found the following recipe and am really thinking of brewing it, but would like some feedback as to how the blackberry/blueberry would be showing up. My only thought is that it would be an intriguing interaction between the yeast, midnight wheat and saaz. Also, to me this would be better to be brewed in Dec to enjoy in Feb/March as a transition into Spring, but if this truly does give some blueberry/blackberry it will make a good spring/summer night brew as well.

Here's the link to the recipe, http://www.sheppybrew.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?id=89, I copied and pasted so others don't have to leave this site to see it.
Batch Size 5.50 gal
Type All Grain
Boil Size 7.76 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency 75.00
Boil Time 90 minutes
Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity 1.049 SG
Estimated FG 1.006 SG
Recipe Bitterness 24.0 IBUs (Rager)
Alcohol by Volume 5.6 %
Recipe Color 24.2 SRM

Measured OG: 1.049
Measured FG: 1.006
Measured ABV: 5.6

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.25 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
10.0 oz Midnight Wheat Malt (550.0 SRM)
1.000 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min 17.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.000 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 4.2 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.000 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml]

Mash 148 F 75min

I have no idea where a berry flavor would be coming from based on the recipe. You could try it like it is and see if you get the same thing.
When I think berry flavor without actually adding berries, I think Simpsons Golden Naked Oats or maybe Mosaic hops.

I also see no way for there to be a berry flavor with that recipe. I do a black saison that is very similar and do not get any berry flavors.

Thanks for the responses, pretty much what I assumed was that unless something really strange happened these flavors are unlikely to be there and if they are they're likely very subtle.

I don't think I'll brew this exact recipe, but might play around and possible add some Pacific Gem to the hop schedule.

Back