Dark Belgians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old-Ned

Reaction score
I started looking for a Malheur 12 clone (with no luck so far). What are some similar commercial beers to try to find and/or something similar to brew?

I'd suggest Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. It will give you a ton of history on individual beer styles as well as the breakdown on grain bills and extract used at whatever homebrew competition was going on the year he wrote it.

Then you don't have to depend on people to give you a clone recipe.

Have you had Trois Pistoles, Maudite, Terrible, Quelque Chose, or Chambley Noir from Unibroue? Or Delerium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe? How about Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label)? Those are all pretty good dark belgian style beers.

I actually have the book. I just haven't opened it yet (shame on me). I'm really looking forward to it,though.

I've had Trois Pistoles, Maudite and the Chimay (Blue). I don't have a great selection in town, but I try to do my research so I'll know what to look for when I go out of town.

Thanks for the recommendations!

beerloaf said:
Rochefort 10

Heeeeelllllllllllll yes! Only found it @ whole foods so far and it's a good hour away... Totally worth it but I don't do it often. I LOVE this beer.

Designing Great Beers is a fantastic book - however, it does not contain any information on Belgian beers.

Designing Great Beers is a fantastic book - however, it does not contain any information on Belgian beers.

For that you want Brew Like a Monk!

I'd second Rochefort 10, so far my favorite Belgian Dark Strong. Haven't tried Westvleteren 12 yet, but I will soon.

I'm sure I'll work my way to BLAM. I originally thought I'd hold off on making any Belgians, but I bottled a Chimay Red clone 2 weeks ago and it was tasting gooood. I'm having a hard time watching it sit there. While I'm waiting, I'm just trying to expand my knowledge.

Latest posts

Back