Danish Lager yeast smells like roast pork?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
This was an Activator pack of Danish Lager 2042 yeast, mfr. date was 12JAN10. As soon as I opened the smack pack (not even swollen yet) I got hit with a big whiff of roast pork. That's the best description I can come up with. I've never had a yeast pack smell like this. Is this normal for this yeast? Is the 'roast pork' odor a telltale sign of a particular contamination/problem with the yeast?

It doesn't sound good honestly and unfortunately.. but I don't know for sure. I DO have a packet of the same yeast, and I will most likely be popping it next weekend so I'll try to remember to check back and let you know if I have a similar smell.
Good luck!

I finally smacked the yeast. And you know Spanish you're right :p Even primary fermentation has a bit of a meaty smell. It's doing well and very active though. I just pulled out the blowoff container and that thing STINKS. The beer is a pilsner. I'm sure we'll be fine, alot of lager yeasts have some weird smells. I really doubt there's any problem with mine, and hopefully yours as well.

Wyeast did respond and said not to worry about the meaty smell. The starter went fine as did the beer (Munich Helles) and the hydro sample of the beer tasted fine. Right now I have an Amber lager fermenting with the cake from the Helles and it's going fine too. The lager fridge doesn't even smell that bad, not like a big rhino-farter anyway.

Latest posts

Back