Dang next fermentation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mixed a new gallon from Welchs grape concentrate on the 8th and the next day started the yeast for 4 hours then added it. Started working and bubbling very almost immediately so I was pleased. Did this for a couple days then yesterday the bubbling stopped and this morning I notice a white film covering the juice so what did I do wrong this time? Do I just let it go or?
I used 3 cans of juice, 2 cups of sugar, yeast nutrient, 2 camden tablets, 1/4 tsp pectin acid, and 1 package yeast.

Last edited:
Hi Shovelheadfreak - and welcome. Hard to tell from your post if there is a problem. What is the current gravity reading? What was the starting gravity? This batch could have finished fermenting because all the sugar has been fermented. Could be that it has stalled... but the white film might be yeast or nutrient or fruit particulates suspended because of the amount of CO2 now in the wine. Did you taste the wine to see if this tastes bad? Smell it to see if it smells of mold? But four days is not really long enough for mold to be noticeable - my guess is that the white film is nothing to worry about unless the film is stringy and gelatinous - and that would point to a microbial infection. The bigger concern (from my perch) is whether the apparent lack of activity means that this batch has used up all available sugar OR the fementation has stalled (or possibly, everything is still chugging along but you have a poor seal and you cannot see the CO2 escaping through the gaps rather than up into the airlock).

OG was 1.100 and haven't checked the current SG and didn't taste it or smell it. I wondered about leaking gas but everything seems good.First couple days it was releasing a couple bubbles a minute now nothing. I'm using the S style locks.

Looking back thru my book I used 2 cups sugar instead of 1/2 lb.

It may be that you are looking for activity in the airlock. Look thru the carboy (assuming it is in a carboy) for little tiny bubbles going up the glass. i have had a few that were so slow they seemed stopped.

Yes inside showed activity until I stirred things up today. Fingers crossed again. Thanks Blacksmith1

Back