Dallas / Austin Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettg20

Reaction score
Heading to TX for the week for work, what breweries / BBQ joints should I go to? Will be in Dallas - Austin - Houston

In Austin, I love The Daught House. They have a ton of great craft beers, and many are from Texas breweries, like Live Oak Brewing Company. No food, but there is always a food truck there if you're hungry.

In Dallas for BBQ, either Pecan Lodge or Lockhart Smokehouse.

Beer wise, either Peticolas or Community.

In Dallas, Deep Ellum brewing has tasty beers and Bishop Cider Co has delicious ciders. Neither serve food though unless there's a food truck

Solid Rock is NW of Austin. Great beer and great guys!

Just south of downtown Austin is Bangers. Plenty of beer to choose from and good sausage! Cool place to hang out.

Infamous Brewery is around the corner from me. A small setup that's friendly. This is also NW of Austin in Lakeway.

There are several great places to eat in Austin, but you often have to wait an hour or more to get in. People here don't mind long lines (I'm not that patient). This goes for BBQ places too. Here by Lakeway (Beecave) is a great BBQ place called Schmidt. It's a family run place from Lockhart, which made it on the History Channel for best TX BBQ, but after that they couldn't keep up with the business and their meat went downhill. This place is like it was.

I vote for Peticolas and Community in Dallas too. A couple great beer bars I know of are Strangeways and The Meddlesome Moth, though I'm sure there are many more.

Personally, I prefer Peticolas and Community for beer in Dallas. +1 for Lockhart and Pecan Lodge for BBQ.

FYI, Plan ahead, many breweries in TX have limited hours or no tap room. You have to take a "Tour" and then get "Samples". I'm guessing this is due to quirky texas beer laws. I did just check Deep Ellum's and Community's website and it looks like they have tap rooms now so maybe the laws are changing.

Pecan Lodge was rated one of the best BBQ places in TX.

Hard Eight BBQ has a restaurant in Coppell near the Dallas Fort Worth airport which is pretty good.

If you are looking for Beers to take home then check our Total Wine & More or Whole Foods. Both usually have good selection of local beer and they usually sell singles.

Of all the breweries that popped up in Dallas over the last 3 years, I think Community is turning out the best product. They focus on making great true-to-style beers and do it very well. They're most popular for their Mosaic IPA, but their wit won a gold medal, the imperial stout is awesome, they make an awesome ESB, and their Vienna Lager is also really good. The brewmaster there knows his stuff and I think they're the only ones in the area with their own yeast lab.

As of about March 2013 is when things changed.

Taken from a blog:

Yesterday, the Texas Senate Committee on Business & Commerce passed Senate bills 515-518 and 639 that stand to change the way beer is sold in Texas. Taken together, these bills will allow brewpubs to package up to 10,000 barrels annually for retail sale, breweries to sell beer directly to consumers for on-premises consumption and clarify the financial arrangements that breweries are allowed to make with distributors. The one thing the bills do not permit is for breweries to sell directly to consumers for off-site consumption, aka "dock sales."

Of all the breweries that popped up in Dallas over the last 3 years, I think Community is turning out the best product. They focus on making great true-to-style beers and do it very well.

I'd counter that statement with Peticolas! Both are great breweries, you can't go wrong. :mug:

Dallas BBQ? Pecan Lodge. If you are going to make the drive north to Lockhart, you may as well skip it for Hutchins in McKinney. Every bit as awesome as Pecan Lodge IMO

If you are going to Austin, I would make a trip to Kruez's BBQ in Lockhart. Truly one of the best BBQ joints in the state.

The one I mentioned (Schmidt's) is a part of their family BBQ. Kreuz and Smitty's Market are the same BBQ as it was a family that split from what I understand, and they came to Beecave and opened up a new store.

Became may or may not be closer than Lockhart.

Having lived in San Antonio we'd make the drive to Lockhart as it was by far the better place that we knew of until they made it on the History Channel. Their product fell and so we began driving to Luling's City Market for BBQ. That was years ago and so maybe Lockhart fixed their issues, though Beecave is literally next door to Lakeway and so I don't have to make a long drive.

Franklin's in Austin is supposed to be the best, and it's sold out since day one. But you have to wait in line for hours (Austinites will stand in lines for anything!) to get in. I have no idea if it's worth the hype or not as I'm not willing to wait more than 30-45 mins, especially in TX weather!

This is the Restaurant that Obama cut in line at and then paid for the guy behind him's meal too. Something to that effect...

I've heard you can order over $70-80 and just pick it up instead of waiting.

Having done the 2 to 2-1/2 hour wait at Franklin's a couple of times, my wife and I have determined that their bbq is the best BUT that we'd rather have 2nd best without the wait by going to Salt Lick in Driftwood.

We've been to their restaurant in Round Rock. I recall it being really good, though it seems to me a side or two were somewhat strange. This was years ago and we stopped on our way home from Kansas City.

We've been to their restaurant in Round Rock. I recall it being really good, though it seems to me a side or two were somewhat strange.

I don't know nuthin' about sides. When I eat bbq, it's all about the meat:cross:

Franklin's is the best brisket anywhere, but yes, the line is ridiculous.

If you want to knock out beer and BBQ, go to Jester King and get some to go bottles and then go to Salt Lick, which is BYOB. They're about 20 minutes from each other out in the Hill Country.

If you want to knock out beer and BBQ, go to Jester King and get some to go bottles and then go to Salt Lick, which is BYOB. They're about 20 minutes from each other out in the Hill Country.

Pretty much what we did for a rehearsal dinner. It was great.

Back