D-90 good substitution for belgiun candy sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Hey all, this is the recipe I am going for, from the recipe forum its Dragonmead Final Absolution clone, extract

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Anyway, as of now I have all the ingredients except I dont have candy sugar, I have 1lb of D-90 Candi Sugar, how much will that effect the final outcome? I know it will be darker, but the D-90 was made for these types of beers anyway so would it really effect the style in other ways? Oh also since I was going to use the D-90 I didnt go with amber DME, I went with light DME to tone it down some.

Any thoughts? I have to go back to the LHBS anyway before I brew, So if it will make a big difference I'll go with what the recipe calls for, I just wanted to use up what I had lying around.

depends on what Belgian Candy sugar you were thinking of using? If it was 90L Dark... then it is a perfect match, if it was clear - use table sugar instead.

Also note, "dry" sugar is 46pppg, candi syrup has water included, so only 32pppg.

I'd roll with it and see what you get. You are missing a 1/2 of sugar though, so you might want to add in some regular sugar to get you to your intended OG.

Making your own belgian candi is not difficult. You can google how. (Basically you heat and stir sugar till it gets really hot. If you want it to change color just heat it for a longer time. Then pour it onto foil to let it cool. It'll be clear and solid like glass.)

I can't say anything about candi vs. table sugar though.

Actually yeah, I have a full 10lb of LME instead of the 9.9, but I will google and make my own 1/2 or 3/4lb of candy sugar to add with the D-90, thanks

Hey all, this is the recipe I am going for, from the recipe forum its Dragonmead Final Absolution clone, extract

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Anyway, as of now I have all the ingredients except I dont have candy sugar, I have 1lb of D-90 Candi Sugar, how much will that effect the final outcome? I know it will be darker, but the D-90 was made for these types of beers anyway so would it really effect the style in other ways? Oh also since I was going to use the D-90 I didnt go with amber DME, I went with light DME to tone it down some.

Any thoughts? I have to go back to the LHBS anyway before I brew, So if it will make a big difference I'll go with what the recipe calls for, I just wanted to use up what I had lying around.

Two very different products. Candi Syrups are rich in flavor/color with lower ppg as rayfound mentioned above. Rock Candi (literally rock candy) as found in the US is flash-heated sucrose with higher ppg but almost no flavor contribution. Making a stove-top rock caramel is a viable substitute for rock candi but most certainly not for Candi Syrup.

Dragonmead Absolution is a Tripel so just go with plain table sugar and you will be fine. The rocks really add no flavor.

The D-90 will change to flavor and it will not really be a Tripel.

Oh, ok thanks for the responses! Looking online candy sugar is absurdly easy to make. Since I dont want to sabotage the recipe I'll save the D-90 for a dark dubbel or strong ale or something else

Thanks!

I'd use it.... I did an Enkel with D-45 and the carmel/raisin notes that came thru were tasty!!! The dark candi sugar I used prior had very little flavor profile. Your recipe doesn't say if it's dark or light candi, you can substitute cane sugar for the clear candi both are pretty much flavorless. but if your making Candi using cane sugar it might be similar looking to Belgian Candi the latter is made from beet sugar, but then again there's probably no difference

Latest posts

Back