D-47+Brett=?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had tried this combination? I haven't done anything with Brett, but have used d-47 in mead with great success. Given Brett's eating habits and D-47s dying habits (also being a wine yeast there should be plenty of complex sugars left over) this seems like it would be a great match. Does anyone have input or an educated guess? I was thinking of a full d47 primary then pitching lacto+Brett after primary and leaving on the lees. Err...trub.

Here is the description of D47: "ICV-D47 is a Côtes du Rhône isolate for the production of full-bodied, barrel fermented Chardonnay and other white varietals. When left on lees, ripe, spicy aromas with tropical and citrus notes are developed. ICV-D47 is a high polysaccharide producer known to accentuate fruit characteristics and bring volume and complexity to white wines."

I've considered it myself, though never tried. The thing I like best about the idea is the big mouthfeel D-47 provides, which brett seems to lack, so I could see it being a good primary strain with a brett secondary, or blending component alongside a brett primary with a split batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The Brewing Network had Shea Comfort (i think i got his name is correct) on from Lallemand. He gave a TON of info on this. He leaned more towards split ferment when mixing wine yeast with sacc or brett. I forget which episode but it should be easy to find.

I dont see the reason for using wine yeast in beer. Wine yeast are bringing out flavors already inherent in the fruit, so using it in a beer will give dramatically different results. You have to look at the whole context of your fermentation, not just yeast choice. Am i in the minority here?

Yup. lol, I have a few wine yeast/brett experiments lined up for this summer. I'm expecting that even though it is not fermenting fruit, it will still throw esters and contribute flavors that sacc doesn't. It's those flavors that I think will mix wonderfully with brett. Hell, it may turn out to be an abomination, but personally, I just gotta know what that end result might be.

Yup. lol, I have a few wine yeast/brett experiments lined up for this summer. I'm expecting that even though it is not fermenting fruit, it will still throw esters and contribute flavors that sacc doesn't. It's those flavors that I think will mix wonderfully with brett. Hell, it may turn out to be an abomination, but personally, I just gotta know what that end result might be.

hah, fair enough. can't argue with experimentation for experimentation's sake lol

I dont see the reason for using wine yeast in beer. Wine yeast are bringing out flavors already inherent in the fruit, so using it in a beer will give dramatically different results. You have to look at the whole context of your fermentation, not just yeast choice. Am i in the minority here?

The D-47, specifically, gives off most of its flavor during aging on the trub vs the initial fermentation. Most wine yeast you rack immediately after fermentation then every 6 weeks or so until no more lees form. D47 recommends a minimum of 6 months on the lees. That and the "high polysaccharide production" are are what made me think of using Brett in a secondary, since Brett creates most of its flavors by eating other yeast by products.

Hell it might be atrocious, but then I have a dozen or so 21-25 year old cousins and a couple of brothers who don't care as long as it's wet and alcoholic!

The D-47, specifically, gives off most of its flavor during aging on the trub vs the initial fermentation. Most wine yeast you rack immediately after fermentation then every 6 weeks or so until no more lees form. D47 recommends a minimum of 6 months on the lees. That and the "high polysaccharide production" are are what made me think of using Brett in a secondary, since Brett creates most of its flavors by eating other yeast by products.

Hell it might be atrocious, but then I have a dozen or so 21-25 year old cousins and a couple of brothers who don't care as long as it's wet and alcoholic!

But still, D-47 is a wine yeast, and has been specifically tested for use in wine fermentations. Id imagine beer trub to be quite a bit different from wine lees, so expecting the same results seems silly to me. I'm definitely interested in hearing of the results, however. Always looking to learn a new thing about yeast

Back