Czech Pilsner Guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I want to make a Czech Pilsner, using Saflager S-23 yeast. This is a partial grain/extract recipe. The recipe I have shows fermenting between high 40's and mid 50's F. My small frig will only get to a high of 45F, my cellar is in the low 60's. Frig too cold, cellar to warm to try this style? Thanks for any help and pointers.

I'd say to pick up a temp controller. I have a plug and play Inkbird and it's awesome.

Option 2, manually keep an eye on the temp in there and unplug/open the door as needed.

Option 3, swamp cooler with swapping out frozen bottles, or with a cold cloth on top for evaporative cooling.

I want to make a Czech Pilsner, using Saflager S-23 yeast. This is a partial grain/extract recipe. The recipe I have shows fermenting between high 40's and mid 50's F. My small frig will only get to a high of 45F, my cellar is in the low 60's. Frig too cold, cellar to warm to try this style? Thanks for any help and pointers.

Your 45° fridge may be OK. Fermentation will produce heat, raising the temperature of the beer. This would easily put you in the yeast's range.

Pitch your yeast and place the wort in the fridge when it's still warm (say 60°). The temperature will normalize while fermentation kicks off.

Thanks, Beer is in the frig @47F, fermentation is moving along, have about 2" of krausen. Is this going to take longer then say an IPA to ferment? Any other tips for this Czech Pilsner?

Thanks, Beer is in the frig @47F, fermentation is moving along, have about 2" of krausen. Is this going to take longer then say an IPA to ferment? Any other tips for this Czech Pilsner?

Sounds like your beer's going fine.

It may take a bit longer to ferment, given the lower temperature. Give it at least 10 days before you play with it. Take a hydrometer reading, if the beer's a few points above your expected FG, pull it out of the fridge and let the temperature rise a bit. Keep it at this new temperature for a few days- this is your diacytel rest. Once it's finished, you can transfer and cold-crash for a few weeks or bottle it, let it carb, and then bottle-lager.

It will likely take a little longer, due to the cooler temp. I'd watch and when the activity has slowed but not stopped, unplug the fridge and let the temp rise up to ~70 deg for 2 days for a diacetyl rest. That will also get the yeast moving to finish it off if they have any issues with the 47 deg temp.

Only other tip would be using SafLager W-34/70 instead of S-23, but it's a bit late for that lol... :D

It's going to be a crisp lager at 47 for the whole fermentation. Should be freaking delicious and clean no matter what

Ok, moved it out to the cellar @60F for 3 days, for 2 the fermentation took off a bit, then settled down. FG looks like 1.016, BYO says 1.013, so pretty close. Going to return it to frig to cold crash and let it clear. Lots of stuff dropping, going to try to let it clear w/o gelatin. Thanks for the help, you guys were right on call.

Did add gelatin, beer is crystal clear sitting in frig st 37F. How long should it sit before I can keg? Thanks.

Back