customized Citra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerryhz

Reaction score
So I built a customized recipe on BrewCamp.com by following the format of my previous extract kit batch (APA) and decided to change some ingredients to create some king of citra pale ale.

Here is my recipe:

Fermentables
2 lb Briess CBW Pilsen Light DME
4lb Briess CBW Golden Light DME

Specialty Grains (add to grain bag and steep prior to boil for 20-30mins)
1/2 lb caramel/crystal 60L (USA)
1 lb munich 10L (USA)
1/2 lb cara gold/munich (Belgian)
1/2 lb aromatic (Belgian)

Hops
3 oz Citra (1oz 60min boil, 1oz 10min boil, 1oz dry hop secondary)
1 oz Australian Galaxy (1min boil)

Yeast
Safale s-04 (dry)

1 teaspoon Irish Moss (15 min boil)

I will start to brew this in about a week. Any thoughts, comments? Would be greatly appreciated.

I personally love both of those hops and think they will compliment each other nicely. I'd consider cutting the 60L or decreasing to 1/4 lbs. The only thing I would do differently is instead of steeping those grains I would do a "mini-mash" of all of the grain you've listed and throw in a pound or so of 2-row. Basically just steep at a higher temperature (I'd recommend 150-152 for this particular recipe) for 45-60 mins. This will give the beer some better mouthfeel and body and adds probably 20 more minutes to your brewday. Just my two pennies!

I personally love both of those hops and think they will compliment each other nicely. I'd consider cutting the 60L or decreasing to 1/4 lbs. The only thing I would do differently is instead of steeping those grains I would do a "mini-mash" of all of the grain you've listed and throw in a pound or so of 2-row. Basically just steep at a higher temperature (I'd recommend 150-152 for this particular recipe) for 45-60 mins. This will give the beer some better mouthfeel and body and adds probably 20 more minutes to your brewday. Just my two pennies!

+1
Op is not here every day last activity was 3/11/14.

I would also love to know how it turned out!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Personally I wouldn't boil Citra. Wait to add it at flame out and it's also great to dry hop with. In the boil it can put off a "cat piss" taste.

I've done three separate batches of all-Citra brew - boiling the hops, and dry-hopping - and never have had the cat piss aroma or flavor. I have had all-Citra brews with the cat piss aroma, though.

Yes sorry that's what I meant. Smell not taste. However since cat piss smell, that can change perception of taste. Totally up to you but again, personally I'd stay away from boiling Citra.

Last comment about this I promise. I want to clarify something on Citra. I still think it's an awesome hop. In fact it might be my favorite IPA hop. It's just that in my opinion when boiled it tends to put off smells and/or tastes that aren't the most pleasant.

I gotta ask, what was was the beer that had that flavor?

I'm going to guess it was an american pale or IPA with either US-05 or Wyeast 1056? I've done a few batches of all citra IPA with Wyeast 3787 (Trappist HG) and have not experienced these flavors. Citra is volatile and breaks down fast, perhaps that was part of the problem. We didn't have it on tap long before it was all drank.

Yep it was an IPA with Safale-05. Actually it's happened with 3 batches. But as soon as I moved the Citra to flame out and dry hop only, no cat pee. Been that way twice now.

So you think it might be the yeast?

I gotta ask, what was was the beer that had that flavor?

I'm going to guess it was an american pale or IPA with either US-05 or Wyeast 1056? I've done a few batches of all citra IPA with Wyeast 3787 (Trappist HG) and have not experienced these flavors. Citra is volatile and breaks down fast, perhaps that was part of the problem. We didn't have it on tap long before it was all drank.

Yep it was an IPA with Safale-05. Actually it's happened with 3 batches. But as soon as I moved the Citra to flame out and dry hop only, no cat pee. Been that way twice now.

So you think it might be the yeast?

I'll let you 2 know how my 15min Citra SMaSH turns out tomorrow. And yes I used Safale-05. At least it is only a 6 pack if it has to get dumped.

This might sound weird but even if it does taste like it a little it probably won't be bad enough to dump.

Except for one of the batches, the smell was very subtle. Overall it was still a decent tasting IPA. However like I said when I moved the Citra to flame out, everything else being exactly the same, the smell was gone completely. In fact I'm brewing the same recipe again this weekend.

Nothing sounds weird to me any more. The number of flavors that can be created with just Hops, Barley, Water, Yeast and controled fermentation temps makes brewing an impressive art.

I did get some aroma and flavor of what I consider dank but not cat piss. I have had commercial beers that were super dank that I did not care for (probably near cat piss stage). This is much more subdued and actually enjoyable. This could be due to the flame out addition over powering or balancing the 15min addition.

Just for documentation purposes:
15 min Citra SMaSH
1 Gal batch
15min Boil (if you don't get the title)
~34 IBU (Tinseth in Beer Smith)
EST ABV 5% (No measurements taken)
1.25 lbs Light DME
0.5oz Dextrin Powder for body (this makes it not a true SMaSH for some)
0.30oz Citra Leaf @ 15min
0.50oz Citra Leaf @ 0min
1/3 pack US-05
Ferment 2 weeks (66F for 4 days 68-70F after krausen fell)
Bottle Condition 3 weeks (used Prime Dose Capsules)

Ferment 2 weeks (66F for 4 days 68-70F after krausen fell)

I keep my ferm bucket in a water bath throughout fermentation and it effectively keeps the temp at a constant 65 degrees all the way through. What's also nice about this is if I'm doing a bigger beer like a stout or porter and the temp creeps up a little, I can drop in a frozen water bottle and keep it where I want it.

However I've read other posts besides yours that suggest a little higher temp during the conditioning phase too. I'm wondering if I should remove the ferm bucket from the water after 4 or 5 days so the temp can creep up a little? What do you think? If so for my own knowledge help me understand the science behind it. Thanks for the help.

Sorry I didn't mean the exact science, I know that gets complicated. Just general reasoning is okay. Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't boil Citra. Wait to add it at flame out and it's also great to dry hop with. In the boil it can put off a "cat piss" taste.

Never tasted cat piss.. I'll take your word!

You should consider SafAle US-05.. Its the same strain as WLP001 or WYEAST 1056.. only dry. US-04 is an English strain.

Forgot to add .. I usually use a very clean hop for bittering especially with hippy American beers.. Consider Magnum or Horizon.. They are high acid so you won't need much and then dump your citra in at the end of the boil.. Just my $0.02

I keep my ferm bucket in a water bath throughout fermentation and it effectively keeps the temp at a constant 65 degrees all the way through. What's also nice about this is if I'm doing a bigger beer like a stout or porter and the temp creeps up a little, I can drop in a frozen water bottle and keep it where I want it.

However I've read other posts besides yours that suggest a little higher temp during the conditioning phase too. I'm wondering if I should remove the ferm bucket from the water after 4 or 5 days so the temp can creep up a little? What do you think? If so for my own knowledge help me understand the science behind it. Thanks for the help.

My under standing is that once the krausen falls your chances for off flavors from the yeast fermenting is less likely so you can bring the temp up so they can completely finish the job. This also keeps the yeast from going dormant and reduces the chance of a stalled fermentation (more for big beers than normal strength).

I started doing this when I got tired of having to wait an extra 2-3 weeks in my bottled conditioned brews to age out that green apple flavor. For me it has worked, if the green apple taste is present it takes maybe 4 days after carbonation in bottle is reached to go away. I also check that I get the right yeast pitch and this probably helps too.

hippy American beers

Thats great! :mug:

Back