Custom Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbagger

Bone Breaker Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody else make their own tap handles out of random stuff? I just finished these two. Buddy Christ for is for my Dogmatic IPA and the Knight’s arm/sword for my Heironeous’ (he is my D&D paladin's deity) Kolsch. I have a few more planned in the near future. I think each solid recipe I come up with will get its own handle.

IMG_2700.jpg

Buddy Christ and the license plate ideas are great. I may be borrowing them.

Feel free.

I cut a piece of wood and bent the license plate around it. Screwed it to the wood with two screws in the back. I thought about doing all the numbers in different color and different state plates, but really wanted the #1 driver because I've never seen it.

Feel free.

I cut a piece of wood and bent the license plate around it. Screwed it to the wood with two screws in the back. I thought about doing all the numbers in different color and different state plates, but really wanted the #1 driver because I've never seen it.

I’ve already ordered a lot of plates off eBay to number my taps 1-4. Thanks for the inspiration.

Fantastic ideas.
Can someone post a noob primer on tap handle connectors and where to get them? Also would be helpful if someone would share instructions on how to attach to whatever zany item your imagination comes up with.

Fantastic ideas.
Can someone post a noob primer on tap handle connectors and where to get them? Also would be helpful if someone would share instructions on how to attach to whatever zany item your imagination comes up with.

Ferrule and hanger bolt
This is what you want if you want a ferrule on the bottom of the tap handle. The pilot hole size will depend on the material you are putting the hanger bolt into. As a general rule, the harder the material, the bigger the pilot hole. I have drilled material all the way out then back filled with structural epoxy to set the bolt. Don't forget to put some thread lock on the threads before attaching the ferrule

Threaded insert
Another threaded insert
These will allow the handle to thread directly on without a ferrule. Same rule applies - the harder the material, the wider the pilot hole. Threaded inserts will need a larger drilled hole than the above. You may want to apply adhesive to the insert before sending it home so it does not unthread from the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made some from images that I burned into wood plaques. Unfortunately I gave them away and didn’t take pictures... I have a friend with a 3D printer that made me a hop cone tap handle but after a while the threads wore out so it doesn’t work as a tap handle anymore. I love that sword handle! Nice work!

I love the pool ball handle. One day I'll get around to making some...

Thank you. There's a member on here with an upright freezer converted to a kegerator that has pool balls 1-8. He was the inspiration for that one. I thought about steeling that idea entirely, but again, I liked the idea of all different objects, and really wanted the #1 driver, which happens to be my favorite.

I have a friend with a 3D printer that made me a hop cone tap handle but after a while the threads wore out so it doesn’t work as a tap handle anymore.

Next time have him make it with a thick solid bottom and attach a ferrule instead of 3d printing the threads. I have a friend printing me a Death Star and Totoro.

And here is the Jayne Cobb handle I just made for my Mudders Milk Stout.View attachment 585542View attachment 585543

Is that 3D printed?

I have a 3D printer that I bought a couple of years ago but I was so busy with other things that I never put it together. It is still in the box on top of the cabinets in my laundry room.
If that is the quality of what I could make with it though, I may be putting it together and learning to use it this weekend!

Back