Crystal malt percentages in a Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxer

Reaction score
I am building a recipe for a Barleywine. However I am looking for some input on what percentage of the bill I should use for crystal malts in relation to ABV. Right now here's the recipe. My crystal percentages right now are about 10% of the total bill. Feel free to blast away on anything else you see that looks out of place.

Est Original Gravity: 1.110 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 12.3 %
Bitterness: 48.5 IBUs
Est Color: 15.0 SRM
Efficiency: 65%

9 lbs 3.9 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter 91.3 %
7.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 4.8 %
3.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 1.9 %
3.1 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 1.9 %
14.14 g Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min 35.1 IBUs
8.08 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min 8.1 IBUs
8.08 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 5.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007)

Mash temp 147°F 90 min

Looks pretty tasty! I do not think you are out of line with 10% crystal. I used about 7% on my last one, which I really liked... but I don't do many BWs .. so perhaps others can offer some further advice..

Good luck!
--LexusChris

I find a lot of brewers on here don't like sweeter beers, which is fine. I prefer a caramel bomb when it comes to barleywines. Usually I use around 12% so this is fine.

I use 3% in a barleywine, and cut it with a bit of invert, Im more concerned with drinkability. If you dont mind it finishing chewy/sticky (alot of american barleywines are) go for it. (And i only see 7% crystal, honey malt is more of an aromatic/meladonin style malt.)

I do think the ibus are low. This is going to need 6-9 months of aging, those ibus are going to fade in that time.

I've barely used crystal for barleywine. As above: just pale, some invert (0.5 to 1lb) and a couple of oz of chocolate or crystal for colour. I like beer that's like beer, not like milkshake. With IBUs at that OG I wouldn't have less than 60-80.

Back