Crystal malt blending - does complexity really matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
So far, the only really good beers I've made come from slavishly following recipes. Now I want to start formulating my own but I'm stuck at the crystal malt additions.

Many of the recipes I tried call for something like, say...

10 lbs - 2 row
0.50 lbs - Crystal Malt 40L
0.50 lbs - Crystal Malt 120L

Question is, how would the taste differ from a weighted average, like this...?

10 lbs - 2 row
1 lbs - Crystal Malt 80L

Seems like the stronger caramel from the 120L would be watered down by the 40L crystal anyway. I'm wondering how refined my palette would have to be to tell the difference. Alot? Not at all? Dumb question?

Brew the differences and learn with your palate. Some are able to discern the subleties of character from the different roastings, others not so much.

I think they will taste different, although they are viable substitutions. The issue is the 120L can get into raisins or toffee, while the lighter Crystal might have notes of honey. It's really not just different levels of caramel.

I don't think you could tell much difference between a C40 and C50. You could tell a huge difference between C40 and C120 though. Honestly, I dont think they just "average out" in the brewing process. C120 contributes some raisin/plum character that C80 might not. If you really want to know, just pop a few grains in your mouth! Making a small cup of tea (using a tea ball and crushed grain) might be a good way to isolate the flavors of a single grain type also.

Even crystal at the same color from different companies can have different tastes, but I haven't been able to figure that out at my LHBS more than just noticing a difference between the "english" crystal they get and the regular crystal.

You will get different flavors out of mixing 40L and 120L crystal than going just with 80L. Each lends different types of flavor. I find the darker crystals tend towards the dry fruit/raisiny spectrum, while the medium levels have a bit more caramel and fruit, and the lightest add just a hint of sweetness. I've read and practiced that you should go with more of a lighter crystal than a darker if you are mixing, so maybe .75lb 40L and .25 120L--otherwise the 120L might overshadow the lighter crystal.

These are probably somewhat subtle flavor differences, but that's what can make brewing interesting. Best way to learn is do as people suggested, or just brew some different batches and try to note the differences.

I don't think you could tell much difference between a C40 and C50. You could tell a huge difference between C40 and C120 though. Honestly, I dont think they just "average out" in the brewing process. C120 contributes some raisin/plum character that C80 might not. If you really want to know, just pop a few grains in your mouth! Making a small cup of tea (using a tea ball and crushed grain) might be a good way to isolate the flavors of a single grain type also.

I agree with the others that 20L + 40L don't equal 60L. They are all different. The lower lovibond crystal varieties taste sweet, and provide sweetness along with body and color. The darker crystals provide raisin, toffee or even burnt sugar flavors.

I think it was Bob (that's his HBT id, not my spouse Bob!) who convinced me that "layering" crystals was something that would give complexity and depth to my pale ales and ambers that may have been lacking in the past.

If you have a LHBS with grains out in buckets, taste a few. I think there is a huge different between the lower ones like 10-20L, and the 80-120L. I wouldn't have any problem subbing 40L for 60L in many recipes, but I wouldn't sub 10L for 80L.

Back