Crystal as a bittering hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
I'm brewing a lemongrass wheat ale and I accidentally bought two packages of crystal hops when the recipe called for 1 oz of spalt for bittering (and 1 oz of crystal for flavor/aroma). Not sure if I'll be able to make it to the store to correct my mistake so would crystal also work as a bittering hop?

I also have some left over mt. hood, pearle, and magnum in the freezer if those would be better for bittering.

Crystal is not a great bittering hop, as it has a very low alpha acid number (this is what determines bittering) - Austin Homebrew pegs it as 3-5% alpha.

Then again, Spalt isn't a big bitterer either; Austin pegs it at 3-6% alpha.

Your other three have more bittering capacity (Magnum is a very effective bittering hop), but they are actually all noticeably above what you would have gotten from Spalt.

1 oz of Crystal is going to give you a little less bitterness than you would have gotten from the Spalt. Maybe use it, and perhaps a quarter ounce of your Mt. Hood. Without knowing the exact alpha numbers of your hops, that should get you very close. Or if you're fine with it potentially being a tad less bitter, just use the Crystal and move on.

The pearle would be closest to the spalt. Magnum is a great bittering hop but would be too much in the recipe. Save the Crystal for the aroma addition.

Crystal is a pretty lousy bittering hop, but it's almost exactly as lousy as Spalt; so yeah, you can sub it in without changing the beer a whole lot. I would save the Crystal for another beer or use it as a dry-hop. Magnum is a great buttering hop and is next-to-useless for anything else, so I'd use that. About 1/3 of an ounce should get you in the same ballpark as the ounce of Spalt.

Crystal may be a "lousy" bittering hop but it is what the recipe calls for. So, if we trust the recipe, this will not be a very bitter beer. Assuming we want a beer of the bitterness the recipe intends, it is my understanding that you can replace with pretty much any hop with the same amount of total alpha acids. So if 1 oz of Crystal at 3-5% alpha acids can be replaced with 1/3 oz. of a hop with 9-15% alpha acid. Or 1 to 1 with Splat. It's also my understanding that whatever flavor a bittering hop has will be pretty much lost in the end, so it could be considered "wasteful" *not* to do this. Maybe.

If I read the OP correctly it calls for Spalt. If I were replacing the Spalt in this recipe then personally I would go with one that has similar characteristics (Pearle). Hops are more than AAU's, even when used for bittering there flavor components that are carried through to the finished beer.

Back