Crystal & Ahtanum hopped Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has mixed crystal and ahtanum hops. I plan on doing so for a ~40IBU pale ale with Wyeast british ale yeast. I've never really used either of these low-AA hops before so thought this would be an interesting experiment. I'll be bittering it to 22IBU's with Calypso (I have a ton of it on hand and the description says it's an incredibly smooth bittering hop) and the rest will come from crystal and ahtanum.

Just wondering if anyone has mixed crystal and ahtanum hops. I plan on doing so for a ~40IBU pale ale with Wyeast british ale yeast. I've never really used either of these low-AA hops before so thought this would be an interesting experiment. I'll be bittering it to 22IBU's with Calypso (I have a ton of it on hand and the description says it's an incredibly smooth bittering hop) and the rest will come from crystal and ahtanum.
Hi. I've used Ahtanum quite a bit and really love it. As you noticed, it's pretty low AA, but when you add it mid/late in the boil as flavor/aroma hop addition, it adds a really nice floral nose/taste. I've done it in several SMaSH beers, and also to finish out BM's Centennial Blonde as well as a Bock, both of which really came out nice. Not sure how it'll mix with Crystal, but I really like it. Ed
:mug:

ETA: I just read Crystal is bred from Hallertau, which is what I used to bitter my Bock, so I'm guessing they'll go great together.

Last edited:
Hi. I've used Ahtanum quite a bit and really love it. As you noticed, it's pretty low AA, but when you add it mid/late in the boil as flavor/aroma hop addition, it adds a really nice floral nose/taste. I've done it in several SMaSH beers, and also to finish out BM's Centennial Blonde as well as a Bock, both of which really came out nice. Not sure how it'll mix with Crystal, but I really like it. Ed
:mug:

Thanks for the insight!

BTW, I grew up in Germantown. Went to Briarcrest before heading out west in '98.

I did a ahtanum and Chinook IPA a few weeks ago. 70% ahtanum, 30 Chinook mixed and a hop shot for bittering. I don't have it in front of me but it was 18 oz in the boil for a 11g batch. All 20 minutes to whirlpool, with half at whirlpool.
I was hoping for piney but I got fruity. Kinda cascadeish without the floral notes, less grapefruit. I get stone fruit, gooseberry Orange/tangelo. Almost no pine/dank at all.
Not what I was after but I think it's a great hop, and cheap! I'll pair it with some citra and cascade in a NE IPA next.

Note, I used sandiego super yeast for the first time on this brew so some notes could be ester related that I'm just not familiar with.

Latest posts

Back