Croydon Cream Ale Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's enough information in that description to have a stab at a clone if you don't find a recipe that someone else has brewed. It sounds like a really dry beer (not what most homebrewers would go for):
For 5 gal at 75% efficiency:
2.5lbs 2-row
2.5lbs 6-row
1lb Flaked maize
0.5lb Munich malt
0.5lb sugar/dextrose
Mash at 154F
1/2oz cluster @ 60mins
1/2oz saaz @ 10mins
US-05 yeast

Should give about 1.040OG and 1.006FG for 4.4%ABV and about 12IBU.

Its actually far from being dry.......its right in the middle amazingly enough.

Hmm. It's listed here
http://neshaminycreekbrewing.com/beers/croydon-cream-ale/
as having an OG of 1.048 and FG of 1.016 (full bodied), and 4.2%ABV. With the inclusion of sugar in the ingredients, that's a very hard thing to do without using a low-attnuating yeast! Did you notice any sort of English style esters that might suggest an English yeast? I think it's unlikely, I just don't see how they can have that much residual gravity without low attenuation. Unless they add maltodextrin, but that's unlikely as well.

Hmm. It's listed here
http://neshaminycreekbrewing.com/beers/croydon-cream-ale/
as having an OG of 1.048 and FG of 1.016 (full bodied), and 4.2%ABV. With the inclusion of sugar in the ingredients, that's a very hard thing to do without using a low-attnuating yeast! Did you notice any sort of English style esters that might suggest an English yeast? I think it's unlikely, I just don't see how they can have that much residual gravity without low attenuation. Unless they add maltodextrin, but that's unlikely as well.

I've had it before, its very crisp. I think they use Cali Ale yeast.

It is not a clear filtered beer. Its a little cloudy. I am not skilled yet at detecting esters, and yeasts.

I think I already know the answer, but has anyone ever called a brewery and expressed interest in homebrewing to get them to help with details? Looks like a fairly large brewery for this to work......

I think I already know the answer, but has anyone ever called a brewery and expressed interest in homebrewing to get them to help with details? Looks like a fairly large brewery for this to work......

I have done this several times. Some don't respond at all, some are willing to provide limited details, and some will give very detailed recipe information. I've had many more responses than non-responses--it never hurts to ask.

Latest posts

Back