Critique my process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
Started off mashing 5 lbs in 3.5 gallons. Drip,squeeze, toss. Trying to get 2.5 gallons had to top off during the boil.

Next batch. 3.5 gallons. Mashed in. Dipped into .5 gallons at 170 and stirred it up for 5 mins. Drain squeeze combine in boiling pot. This got me alittle under 2.5 post boil.

Third batch. 3.5 gallons mashed. Into .5 gallons at 170. Into a colander on top of the pot. Pushed that down poured a tea kettle over that at 170. Combine in boiling pot. This got me to about 83%.

I haven't tried any of the beer carbed yet.

First one was a little too hoppy

Second taste amazing out of the bucket. Much dryer and cleaner than my extracts.

Think the process in the third is a good way too go? Should I adjust my temps?

Started off mashing 5 lbs in 3.5 gallons. Drip,squeeze, toss. Trying to get 2.5 gallons had to top off during the boil.

Next batch. 3.5 gallons. Mashed in. Dipped into .5 gallons at 170 and stirred it up for 5 mins. Drain squeeze combine in boiling pot. This got me alittle under 2.5 post boil.

Third batch. 3.5 gallons mashed. Into .5 gallons at 170. Into a colander on top of the pot. Pushed that down poured a tea kettle over that at 170. Combine in boiling pot. This got me to about 83%.

I haven't tried any of the beer carbed yet.

First one was a little too hoppy

Second taste amazing out of the bucket. Much dryer and cleaner than my extracts.

Think the process in the third is a good way too go? Should I adjust my temps?

I used to have to sparge after the mash as well. I did so with a quick pourover sparge and let it drain into a bucket. Long as your effeciency is good enough (AND CONSISTENT!) then you're good. No wrong way to do it really.

Don't worry so much about the temp of your sparge water, it doesn't really matter as long as it's not too hot. Cold water is just as effective, but obviously would require more time to heat up. I'd just heat it to 150~ and sparge with it rather than risk pouring over too hot of water and causing some tannins.

I do 2 gallon batches. Usually mash in about 2.8 gallons of water and have only lost about 1/4 gallon to the grain. This is w/anywhere from 4 to 5.5 lbs of barley. Don't see how you are loosing 1 gallon to the grain.

I set my grain bag in a collendar on top of my 5 gallon round cooler and using a coffee cup in each hand I squeeze every last drop out. I never sparge.

OOPS, just re-read your post that 1 gallon loss is post boil. I'm loosing about .75 gallons post boil.

I used to have to sparge after the mash as well. I did so with a quick pourover sparge and let it drain into a bucket. Long as your effeciency is good enough (AND CONSISTENT!) then you're good. No wrong way to do it really.

Don't worry so much about the temp of your sparge water, it doesn't really matter as long as it's not too hot. Cold water is just as effective, but obviously would require more time to heat up. I'd just heat it to 150~ and sparge with it rather than risk pouring over too hot of water and causing some tannins.

Unless you are using a terrific amount of water or multiple sparges the temperature of the water doesn't matter much. Your wort is pretty acidic and you would have to raise it to over 6.0 to leach the tannins. I've been using boiling water for my last couple batches to expedite the process and stop the conversion in the bag of grains and I don't extract tannins.

As priceless said above, there is really no wrong way as long as what your doing is working.

I have found the simplest way for me is to know my kettle volume, you can simply make some marks on your brew spoon. Dough in with around 3 gallons, then sparge til you are at your desired preboil volume...easy peasy no measuring except during the sparge checking the kettle for the right amount.

As priceless said above, there is really no wrong way as long as what your doing is working.

I have found the simplest way for me is to know my kettle volume, you can simply make some marks on your brew spoon. Dough in with around 3 gallons, then sparge til you are at your desired preboil volume...easy peasy no measuring except during the sparge checking the kettle for the right amount.

I have 3 boil pots that I use...4, 5, and 6 gallons. I've taken a piece of PVC pipe, sealed the bottom and using a 1/4 gallon measuring cup marked on the pipe every thing from 2 gallons up to 6, marking each 1/4th gallon w/a magic marker. Been there for a few years and the ink has not worn off.

Latest posts

Back