Critique my Fat Tire clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73Drvr

Reaction score
Hi all. This will be my first AG batch. I searched through the database, found the FT clone recipes in BYO, "Beer Captured", and from Northern Brewer. I've modified them some to be my own. Please let me know what you think.

Fat Tire Clone
Grains
7# Marris Otter
1.5# Munich Light
.5# Crystal 90L
5oz Victory
3oz Biscuit

Mash at 149deg for 90min

Hops
.4oz Target 60min
.5oz Styrian Goldings 15min
.25oz Willamette 5 min

Yeast
Wyeast Belgian Abbey II

New Belgium's website says they use Pale Ale malt, but my LHBS doesn't carry Belgian Pale, so will MO be a good substitute.
They also use Target, Goldings, and Willamette hops for 18.5IBUs. I'll adjust the hop amounts to equal 18.5IBUs based on the AA content of the hops once I get them.

Thanks

The only criticism I have is the Belgian yeast. Fat Tire is an American amber ale with no hint of fruitiness from Belgian yeast at all. I guess because the name of the company is "New Belgium", people think it's a Belgian. But it's as far from a Belgian ale as I can imagine. Now, it might be quite good with Belgian yeast, but it won't be anything like Fat Tire.

I don't know about the hops- I don't taste styrian goldings in that beer. I like maris otter as a base malt, but again I don't think it'll taste like Fat Tire that way. I'd use plain old US two-row, unless you want to bring a real "bready" malt flavor forward.

Northern Brewer has a fat tire clone in their list of kits. I brewed it earlier this year and it turned out great. I'd check their site for the ingredients in it, or to even grab that particular kit.

Back