Critique an Amber Rye Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainbamage

Keep HBT weird.
Reaction score
I was tooling around with an amber ale recipe and hoping for some feedback. I wanted to add some rye, and thought the spiciness might pair well with the woodsy/piney notes of Northern Brewer and Simcoe.

6.6 lb. light LME
10 oz. rye
8 oz. Crystal 40L
8 oz. Crystal 80L

0.25 oz. NB @ 60 min.
0.25 oz. NB @ 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe @ 30 min.
0.5 oz. Simcoe @ 15 min.

Kind of undecided on yeast at the moment, but open to suggestion. Nottingham? US-05?

The rye should be mashed, otherwise I don't think you'll get much out of it. That's also a pretty small amount. I'd go with 2 lbs, if you steep at 150-156 for 30-60 min in about 3 qts of water that will constitute a mash. I'd try to use a smaller pot, then to hold temp you can wrap it in towels or put it in a oven that's preheated to 170 then turned off.

That works out alright, I use a smallish pot anyway since I do all my brewing on the stovetop.

2 lbs, really? Isn't rye supposed to be kept under something like 10% of the grain bill to keep from taking over? Would I need to include some 2-row to help it convert?

(I haven't brewed with rye yet, so I'm not very familiar with its use.)

The rye can convert itself (malted, not flaked). I've been using 20-25% rye including a portion of it flaked, which is supposed to have a stronger flavor. I've tried 10% rye malt and it didn't seem that noticeable to me. Some brewers on here go 40-50% but that is probably too much for a lot of people. Two lbs at 70% conversion in your tiny mash would give about 40 gravity pts , so in that recipe you'd still be at about only 13-14 % of your fermentables. But up to you of course!
:mug:

Latest posts

Back