Crisp ale malt - Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I assuming yes but the label on my 55 lb bag says Crisp Malting, Ale malt - nothing else but the batch number. No indication if it is either Maris Otter or not. I know they also do a Pale Malt, which is not Maris Otter but this bag has no other identifier. A web search and visit to their site give me no additional information.

My memory is that the last bag I got said specifically Maris Otter but I memory might be... faulty!

?

Steve

http://www.crispmalt.co/content/malted-barley

Their website doesn't list an "Ale Malt," as such. You probably have either the MO or the "Best Pale Ale Malt," which is Norfolk. However:

Brewers' Supply Group is their main US distributor. In case their product differs for the export market, you might get a better picture of what we get here, here. They list a "Pale Ale" malt as well, this time with little other details. Chances are, it's something like Norfolk, Optic, Perl, something like that.

In any case, it ought to behave the same and taste similar. If it's Crisp, I'm sure it's good enough for a quality beer.

The bags usually have a sticker on one side and writing on the other. Maris Otter will either be indicated by its name, or M/O. If that's not the case, it's their regular Pale Ale malt, which is a superb product. I use it probably more than any other base malt.

Back