Creature Comforts Tropicalia Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After finally getting to try some Trop last night I would say this.

The floral aspect that Centennial delivers is what stood out the most. I had a really hard time picking out any Galaxy which is generally so easy to identify as it’s so potent and unique. 50/40/10 Citra centennial/Galaxy for my first guess.

I don’t believe they dry hop during fermentation. Generally with 1968/002 if you wait until after FG and D-rest it will flocc so hard the DH addition won’t add any haze and you can get very clear beer with no finings.

This wasn’t a very hop saturated beer for me. It was very well balanced and very crushable. The 3oz / 3.75 FO/DH addition seems about right. They do recirc so they are probably getting better extraction so you might need to bump
It up a little. If you’re adding that small
Of an amount with much yeast activity you will get aroma loss.

I doubt they’re whirlpooling much below 200. A: it’s very hard to get 30 BBls of beer to drop in temp without running through a heat ex and B: they said most of their IBUs are coming from the whirlpool so dump in at 200ish and let it get down to 180 over 30 minutes or so then cool.

The video cuts out but I swear it sounds like he says there is 10% Munich in Trop. You can get Trop color with probably 2% C40.

Last edited:
I've used a bunch of information from this thread. Worked up a Beersmith recipe. Thoughts?

tropicalia-attempt-summary.jpg

Brewed recipe above this past Sunday. I hit the gravity and pitched the yeast around 66 degrees. Signs of fermentation after 10 hours. I will rack into a keg for dry hopping this Sunday (1 week after brew day). Rack to a new keg on Wednesday/Thursday and carb. I will report back with results. And I'll get some pictures to share.

Notes: I did my whirlpool between 180-176 degrees. I ended up mashing at 153 degrees. Made a yeast starter.

Last edited:
Brewed recipe above this past Sunday. I hit the gravity and pitched the yeast around 66 degrees. Signs of fermentation after 10 hours. I will rack into a keg for dry hopping this Sunday (1 week after brew day). Rack to a new keg on Wednesday/Thursday and carb. I will report back with results. And I'll get some pictures to share.

Notes: I did my whirlpool between 180-176 degrees. I ended up mashing at 153 degrees. Made a yeast starter.

Why not just dryhop in the primary to avoid more potential oxygen exposure?

Why not just dryhop in the primary to avoid more potential oxygen exposure?
After watching the interview/podcast posted in this thread, the brewer said they crop off the yeast/trub after 6 days. I am not able to do that. For me to get the beer off the yeast I have to transfer.

I've been using the dry hop keg method for my NEIPAs and have very good results.

After watching the interview/podcast posted in this thread, the brewer said they crop off the yeast/trub after 6 days. I am not able to do that. For me to get the beer off the yeast I have to transfer.

I've been using the dry hop keg method for my NEIPAs and have very good results.

I imagine the reason they drop the yeast is because they can easily do that and to harvest it, but doubt impacts the final product much leaving it on another few days during dryhop. That said, If you are able to do a closed/CO2 transfer then I would not hesitate to do that. That’s how I rack, but normally just do the first dryhop in primary for my beers because i am lazy

I imagine the reason they drop the yeast is because they can easily do that and to harvest it, but doubt impacts the final product much leaving it on another few days during dryhop. That said, If you are able to do a closed/CO2 transfer then I would not hesitate to do that. That’s how I rack, but normally just do the first dryhop in primary for my beers because i am lazy
Good point. I do agree, they probably reuse the yeast. Thanks for pointing that out. I am very careful with the transfers, but I do see limiting the O2 exposure is the best practice. I may just keep it in primary.

trop.jpg

Pretty good. Didn't clear for some reason.

I would bump the bitterness a tad. I would also dial back the whirlpool and dry hop. Maybe 2oz citra instead of 3. And .25oz galaxy instead of .5.

I messed up and kept the beer on the dry hops for a full 7 days. I got really busy. I wanted to do 2-3 days.

trop.jpg

Pretty good. Didn't clear for some reason.

I would bump the bitterness a tad. I would also dial back the whirlpool and dry hop. Maybe 2oz citra instead of 3. And .25oz galaxy instead of .5.

I messed up and kept the beer on the dry hops for a full 7 days. I got really busy. I wanted to do 2-3 days.

Creature Comforts has a centrifuge which likely helps their clarity. I don’t think they use wheat either, so maybe drop that next time. Looks good though [emoji481]

Creature Comforts has a centrifuge which likely helps their clarity. I don’t think they use wheat either, so maybe drop that next time. Looks good though [emoji481]
Thanks for the feedback. I plan on brewing again with some tweaks. I will report back later.

My image from my first attempt is not showing here for some reason. Posting again. Also, I have a second attempt recipe that I will post soon.

tropicalia-attempt-summary.jpg

Last edited:
Brewed this recipe over the weekend. It went really well and the fermentation has been vigorous. Some notes: I pitched a starter yeast, oxygenated the wort, and targeted a water profile.

Target water profile:
Ca -- 140
Mg -- 18
Na -- 25
SO4 -- 250
Cl -- 55
HCO3 -- 110

I will report back soon with the results.

trop2.jpg

This beer came out very good. I've not tasted the real thing in a few months, but when I tried this batch today it took me back to a fresh can of Trop.
MVIMG_20180402_171533~2.jpg

Thank you for the recipe, i made this last weekend and was going to transfer into secondary today and dry hop for 4-5 days since I still bottle. Will that be too much? Is there a reason you only dry hop for 2 days? The other ipas I've made in the past, I've dry hopped for longer

This looks like an interesting brew to try. For those who have tried the real thing and who have brewed, which recipe would you go with? I see there are a few recipes floating around in this thread and would like to try to brew a version within the next month.

Thank you for the recipe, i made this last weekend and was going to transfer into secondary today and dry hop for 4-5 days since I still bottle. Will that be too much? Is there a reason you only dry hop for 2 days? The other ipas I've made in the past, I've dry hopped for longer
In my first attempt I let the dry hop go a week maybe even more. The Galaxy hop really took over and had a slight pungent taste. I dry hoped the second attempt for 2 days then cold crashed it. So actually it dry hopped for about 4 days total. Typically I only dry hop for a few days. I've had good results. Hope your brew turns out good. Did you make any changes to the recipe I posted? Id be curious what they are as this beer has not been officially cloned yet.

In my first attempt I let the dry hop go a week maybe even more. The Galaxy hop really took over and had a slight pungent taste. I dry hoped the second attempt for 2 days then cold crashed it. So actually it dry hopped for about 4 days total. Typically I only dry hop for a few days. I've had good results. Hope your brew turns out good. Did you make any changes to the recipe I posted? Id be curious what they are as this beer has not been officially cloned yet.
Realized I never got back here to reply. I didn change the boil/whirlpool to 1oz Centennual, 2oz Citra, and 0.25 oz Galaxy. I did end up dry hopping for5 days total with 2oz Citra, and 0.25 oz Galaxy. The beer came out exceptional and an brewing again today to try to replicate what I had done 6 months ago

Here's how I've been brewing it. I eliminated the white wheat in my 3rd attempt after V2 came out a little too sweet. I've brewed this version a few times now. The 1.5 Oz of Centennial dry-hopped should say 3 days. I'm batch sparging. Dry-hopping in the primary -no secondary. Crash cooling for 2-3 days before kegging.
upload_2018-12-9_16-16-16.png

Back