Creating a Saison /w Brett using bottle dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nthammer

Reaction score
I stepped up the dregs from a bottle of JP weizen bam and Bruery saison de lente, individually. I woke them up in a weak 1.020 solution and now they are in a 1L flask with 600ml of ~1.040 wort, they are very active and have a lot of what appears to be yeast in the bottom.

My plan was to create a saison batch, split it in two 3 gallon carboys, then copitch wyeast belgian saison with dregs, so one carboy gets wyeast+JP, one gets wyeast+bruery. As a bit of an experiment on flavor from different bottles

Looking at the flasks now though, I'm wondering if it's even necessary to pitch the wyeast? I can post pictures if you want to see what I mean, but the starters look like regular yeast starters.

If anyone has done something similar, or is more familiar with saison/brett fermentations than I am, I'd love your input

I'd pitch the Wyeast too. Your starters are all or mostly Brett, and you want the interaction of the sacc yeast with it to make yummy Brett saison magic.

Did you get around to doing this? I'd love to hear about your process and any results, so far.

Yeah they have been fermenting for three weeks tomorrow, at 80-85F, will be taking them out of the chamber to let them age at room temp for several months. I dont plan on doing any type of secondary.

Back