Cream of three crops problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
I goofed! Fairly sure issue was too high mash temp. I think I am looking at a high amount of unfermentable sugar. Been painfully slow fermentation for a week now. Og was 1.043ish reading now shows 1.02 with little airlock activity. A bubble every 3 min. Let it run? Options?

did you use 05 for the yeast ? what temp do you have it at ? a high mash temp can be a problem with that grain bill for sure

did you do a 90 minute mash? what was the temp you mashed at ?

with this brew I will have it in the keg by 10 - 12 days and drinking it a couple of days later

the bubbles now are more the liking co2 coming out of the beer

I like to do mine for the first few days at 64-65 then warm it up to 67 - 68 to finish the cold crash 2 or 2 1/2 days

I love this recipe just thinking about it and the fact I am on my last keg and need to brew again

maybe try to warm it up a little and see if that helps

all the best

S_M

did you use 05 for the yeast ? what temp do you have it at ? a high mash temp can be a problem with that grain bill for sure

did you do a 90 minute mash? what was the temp you mashed at ?

with this brew I will have it in the keg by 10 - 12 days and drinking it a couple of days later

the bubbles now are more the liking co2 coming out of the beer

I like to do mine for the first few days at 64-65 then warm it up to 67 - 68 to finish the cold crash 2 or 2 1/2 days

I love this recipe just thinking about it and the fact I am on my last keg and need to brew again

maybe try to warm it up a little and see if that helps

all the best

S_M

Yeast WLP001,,mash temp 156, 90 min, ferment temp 75ish. I drank the test jar for my gravity reading, some co2 for sure. I do have a good yeast cake built up. I expected a much more vigorous fermentation! This is now day 11 fermenting.

I had the exact same problem! Brewed BM's Co3 two weeks ago this Sunday. Steady fermentation stopped at 1.020 due to a really high mash temp(160f+ eesh, slow thermometer). So I threw some amylase enzyme in on Monday, dropped it down to 1.010 as of last night, so I'm cold crashing and kegging come Sunday.

Not sure how the beer is yet(said the fool), but as first time user of AE- I'm calling this stuff magic for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeast WLP001,,mash temp 156, 90 min, ferment temp 75ish. I drank the test jar for my gravity reading, some co2 for sure. I do have a good yeast cake built up. I expected a much more vigorous fermentation! This is now day 11 fermenting.

WLP001 is a Chico strain I believe which is what US-05 is

did you make a starter? you pitched at what temp?

amylase enzyme ( beano ) will work to bring it down but I have heard it can work to well

the 156 for 90 minutes is part of you problem and if for some reason your thermometer reads a bit low your mashing temp is even hotter

what was your OG ?

mine for this recipe is 1.043 - 1.044 OG an FG of 1.012 -1.011

this is recipe is going to become a house beer for me but I am going to use all Vienna for the base malt and liberty as one of the hops

all the best

S_M

That's high for a FG, but if it doesn't budge you can bottle it if the beer tastes good. Even if it's a bit thick-ish, carbonation will help lighten up the mouthfeel a lot.

If it doesn't taste good, say like too sweet or something, then some amylase would help but it may thin/dry it out a bit too much.

Of course, next time mash at 150 for most beers that should be light and crisp.

Ya, am sure issue was too hot mash. If I remember correctly, I started with the water almost 180' expecting a big drop-this was my first all grain- yeast was very happy, had about 16 ounce slurry that was very active, had to keep releasing pressure from the jar before pitching! Wart temp was quite cool when pitched, and as a test to see if the yeast was alive and well, I dumped a squirt of agave into the fermenter as a test and the yeast took off within an hour. Also figured if sugar thins out the batch and unfermented sugars thicken it, and hey a little more abv. Better all around.
Difference with all grain tho, with partial brews, my rule was 'if the mash still tastes sweet, sparge again, but lower temps'. With the larger grain bill, this was way too much work an little fun!

Latest posts

Back